Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

arts & theater

49 items
Results 11 - 20 of 49 < previous next >

Teen born without a jaw finds his voice, achieves dream of creating music

A teen born without a jaw is beating the odds again, launching a music career and helping other along the way.

When Isaiah Acosta was born, the odds were stacked against him. He’s now 17 years old and thriving in Phoenix, Arizona.

>> Read more trending news

Though he’s considered mute and will never have the ability to speak, Isaiah is now launching his music career.

“We knew we had a great story but we didn’t know it was going to explode like it did,” Tarah Acosta, Isaiah’s mother, told KNXV.

Last week, Isaiah’s hip-hop song “Oxygen to Fly” debuted. He partnered with Arizona rapper Trap House and a short documentary featuring his story was shared online. In just a few days, his story racked up more than 4 million views.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news

“I don’t even think Isaiah thought this was possible. You know he is mute and we and a lot of people have told us they haven’t seen anything like this,” said Tarah.

You can listen to Isaiah’s song by clicking here. All proceeds from the song will go to the Children’s Miracle Network.

>> Watch a video about Isaiah here

#BoycottHamilton trends on Twitter as Trump supporters, critics sound off

national online debate has unfolded following a Friday night performance of “Hamilton” attended by Vice President-elect Mike Pence.

>> 'Hamilton' cast member issues challenge to VP-elect Mike Pence

After Pence was booed by some of the crowd, a cast member spoke from the stage to Pence as he left the theater during the curtain call.

>> Mike Pence enjoyed 'Hamilton,' was not offended when cast addressed him

“Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you, and we truly thank you for joining us here at ‘Hamilton: An American Musical.’ We really do,” Brandon Dixon said after telling the crowd to stop booing Pence.

>> 'Hamilton' actor who spoke to Mike Pence responds to Donald Trump

He continued, “We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us. All of us. Thank you.”

>> Read more trending stories

On Saturday and Sunday, President-elect Donald Trump fired back in multiple tweets, saying Pence deserved an apology.

>> Trump continues Twitter rant against 'Hamilton' cast

Those who believed Pence had been disrespected started tweeting using the hashtag #BoycottHamilton.

>> Click here or scroll down to see what people were saying

<iframe src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/boycotthamilton-trends-amid/embed?header=none&amp;border=false" width="100%" height="750" frameborder="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe> <script src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/boycotthamilton-trends-amid.js?header=none&amp;border=false"></script> [View the story "#BoycottHamilton trends on Twitter as Trump, Pence supporters sound off" on Storify]

Trump continues Twitter rant against 'Hamilton' cast

The "Hamilton" drama continues ...

The day after President-elect Donald Trump slammed the cast of the Broadway musical "Hamilton" for addressing Vice President-elect Mike Pence after Friday's show, Trump returned to Twitter to insult the show and call for an apology.

"The cast and producers of Hamilton, which I hear is highly overrated, should immediately apologize to Mike Pence for their terrible behavior," he wrote early Sunday. 

>> See the tweet here

The tweet came less than 12 hours after he took another shot at the actors.

>> 'Hamilton' cast member issues challenge to VP-elect Mike Pence

"Very rude and insulting of Hamilton cast member to treat our great future V.P. Mike Pence to a theater lecture," Trump tweeted Saturday evening. "Couldn't even memorize lines!"

The post was quickly deleted, but not before someone captured a screenshot of the tweet.

>> See the tweet here

The controversy erupted Friday evening when Pence attended the show and was booed by some audience members. After the performance, actor Brandon Dixon addressed Pence from the stage.

"You know, we have a guest in the audience this evening. Vice President-elect Pence, I see you walking out, but I hope you hear just a few more moments. There's nothing to boo, ladies and gentlemen. There's nothing to boo. We're all here sharing a story of love. We have a message for you, sir; we hope that you will hear us out. And I encourage everybody to pull out your phones and tweet and post because this message needs to be spread far and wide," Dixon began.

>> 'Hamilton' actor who spoke to Mike Pence responds to Donald Trump

"Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at 'Hamilton: An American Musical.' We really do. We, sir, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us," he continued.

"Thank you truly for seeing this show, this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men, women of different colors, creeds and orientations."

>> Watch the statement here

Trump responded Saturday morning.

"Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing.This should not happen!" he wrote.

The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!"

>> Read more trending stories

Dixon replied, "Conversation is not harassment sir. And I appreciate @mike_pence for stopping to listen."

After Orlando tragedy, Lin-Manuel Miranda gives passionate acceptance speech at Tony Awards

Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator of and actor in the hit Broadway musical "Hamilton," recited a passionate poem during his acceptance speech for Best Score at the Tony Awards. He dedicated his speech to address the tragic mass shooting at an Orlando nightclub Sunday.

>> RELATED STORY: In wake of Orlando shooting, 'Hamilton' cast performs without muskets at Tony Awards

>> PHOTOS: Stars honor Orlando shooting victims on Tony Awards red carpet

>> PHOTOS: Photos: 2016 Tony Awards show

>> Read more about the Orlando nightclub shooting

“My wife’s the reason anything gets done. She nudges me towards promise by degrees. She is a perfect symphony of one, our son is her most beautiful reprise. We chase the melodies that seem to find us until they’re finished songs and start to play. When senseless acts of tragedy remind us that nothing here is promised, not one day.

>> Read more trending stories

This show is proof that history remembers, we live through times where hate and fear seem stronger, we rise and fall and light from dying embers, remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love, cannot be killed or swept aside. I sing Vanessa’s symphony, Eliza tells her story, now fill the world with music, love and pride. Thank you so much for this.”

Miranda previously commented on the Orlando massacre during an interview on the red carpet, according to People magazine.

>> RELATED STORY: Orlando nightclub shooting: What we know now

“On a day marked by such tragedy to get to celebrate such works of art,” he said, “I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else.”

>> Click here to watch his speech

Lin-Manuel Miranda responds to Orlando attacksLin-Manuel Miranda responded to the Orlando massacre in his emotional Tony Awards speech: "Love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love, cannot be killed or swept aside."Posted by The Hill on Sunday, June 12, 2016

Broadway stars team up with James Corden for Carpool Karaoke

This isn't your buddy's karaoke night. These guys can actually sing ... on key.

James Corden's latest installment of "Carpool Karaoke" flipped coasts and traveled the streets of New York City.

The late night host is adding extra hosting duties this week, this time headlining the Tony Awards Sunday night

>> Read more trending stories  

That gig opened the door for a Broadway version of Corden's popular franchise, with guests like Lin-Manuel Miranda, from the hit "Hamilton," Audra McDonald, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Jane Krakowski.

They lend their voices, not only to a song from "Hamilton," but also hits from "Rent," "Jersey Boys" and finally "Les Miserables."

Watch the video below, or click here:

Comedian Lewis Black in Dayton this week

Comedian/playwright Lewis Black will be in Dayton this week to attend a performance of his play, “One Slight Hitch,” announced the Human Race Theatre Company.

Black will attend Wednesday's performance of the romantic comedy at Human Race's base theater, The Loft Theater at 126 N. Main St., next to the Victoria Theatre. After the performance, Black will speak to the audience about his play. 

Black is also known for stand-up comedy and appearing on “Comedy Central” and “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.” 

"One Slight Hitch" runs through Saturday, April 24. Tickets can be purchased through Ticket Center Stage: www.ticketcenterstage.com or 937-228-3630.  

Why now is the perfect time to visit Cincinnati museum

WANT TO GO?

WHAT: “Daubigny, Monet, Van Gogh: Impressions of Landscape”

WHERE: Taft Museum of Art, 316 Pike Street, Cincinnati

WHEN: Through May 29. Hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Due to the popularity of the exhibition, admission on Sundays is only by timed tickets secured in advance. Timed tickets are also strongly recommended for Tuesday through Saturday as well. If you choose not to purchase tickets in advance, you may experience a delay until the next entry time becomes available.

TICKETS: Admission to the Taft Museum of Art is $15, which includes entrance to the special exhibition as well as the rest of the museum. Sunday admission is $5, which includes entrance to the special exhibition and youth and children are free. Timed tickets will be available for purchase at www.taftmuseum.org. Note that Sunday admission for the permanent collection at the historic house is free.

Special events and programming:

  • A symposium from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 16 will focus on Daubigny’s innovations, contributions, and interactions with the Impressionists, and his influence on Vincent van Gogh. Tickets are $45 for non-members and include lunch. Reservations required. Call (513) 684-4516 or visit www.taftmuseum.org.
  • “From Palette to Palate: The Art and Food of the Impressionists” will take place at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 1. Taft Executive Chef Luke Radkey will explore the French culinary palate with sample small bites. It’s $15 for non-members.
  • Art À La Carte (Just for Young Professionals) is slated for 5-8 p.m. Friday, May 13. The evening features wine, painting, music and poetry.
  • “En Plein Air Landscape Painting Workshop” will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 14 and Sunday, May 15. Dayton landscape artist Gretchen Durst Jacobs will conduct a two-day workshop in oil paints. On the first day, you’ll look at Daubigny’s landscapes and sketch and paint on the Taft’s grounds. On day two, participants will walk to the river and find a location to make their own landscape en plein air. Paint and canvas will be supplied. Tickets are $80 non-members. Reservations required: (513) 684-4516 or www.taftmuseum.org. Includes admission to the museum and special exhibition.

 

Reservations required for all of the related programs. Call (513) 684-4516 or visit www.taftmuseum.org.

EXTRAS

Publication: A fully illustrated 176-page catalogue is available in the museum gift shop for $35.

Audio Tour: A free audio tour is available to visitors at www.taftmuseum.org. Printed versions of the audio tour will be available for visitors without smartphones and those who are hearing impaired.

Lunch: Cafe reservations are required. Call (513) 352-5140 to book your table.

If you’ve never been to the Taft Museum, you’re missing one of Southwest Ohio’s artistic gems.

Located in downtown Cincinnati, the museum is housed in the former home of Charles and Anna Taft — President William Howard Taft’s half-brother and his wife. The couple amassed an amazing collection of European old master and 19th-century paintings, American art, European sculpture and decorative arts and Chinese porcelain. Their 700 treasures are on display in the historic home that opened to the public in 1932 and includes a 2004 addition.

A registered National Historic Landmark, the house is the oldest domestic wooden structure remaining in its original location in Cincinnati and is considered one of the finest examples of Federal architecture in the Palladian style in the country.

WHY NOW IS AN IDEAL TIME TO VISIT MUSEUM

In addition to seeing the wonderful permanent collection, through the end of May visitors can take in a rare, impressive international exhibition “Daubigny, Monet, Van Gogh: Impressions of Landscape.” The show, produced by the Taft in conjunction with the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh and the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, aims to educate visitors about the origins of Impressionism through the work of Charles François Daubigny, a central figure in the development of 19th-century French landscape painting.

“It’s the most ambitious project we’ve ever taken on,” said Deborah Emont Scott, Taft director and CEO. “We have loans from museums and private collections throughout North America and Europe.”

If you’re a regular visitor to the Dayton Art Institute, you’ll have seen work by Daubigny. The museum owns three works by the artist including “A Lake in the Woods at Dusk,” a painting on view in the Monet gallery. The label points out the ways in which Daubigny’s interest in painting out-of-doors and “brushy application of paint” provided an important example to later Impressionists.

The Cincinnati exhibition, which runs through May 29, will then travel to Edinburgh and Amsterdam later in 2016 and 2017. It is not scheduled to be shown anywhere else in the United States.

DAYTON CONNECTION

A reconstruction of Daubigny’s studio boat, constructed by Dayton’s Tristan Cupp — Zoot Theatre’s well-known co-founder and artistic director — is also on view. The boat reinforces one of the main themes of the exhibition: Daubigny’s innovative approach to painting landscapes from a water-level perspective. Video clips provided by the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts provide several landscape views and a time lapse video demonstrating the painting process so visitors will see first-hand what it’s like to paint on a boat and how an artist paints a landscape on the river.

40 WORKS OF ART ON DISPLAY

The 40 Daubigny masterpieces on display showcase the range of Daubigny’s achievements over four decades. You’ll see lovely paintings of the Seine and Oise rivers, stormy atmospheric views of the Normandy coast, and lush fields in the countryside outside Paris. As the exhibit demonstrates, all of these inspired Monet and Pissarro.

Daubigny’s panoramic views of the sunny grain-fields near Auvers were admired by Van Gogh, who adopted Daubigny’s then famous double-wide canvas formats for his own pictures of the plains near Auvers. The final section of the exhibition includes five masterpieces by Van Gogh that reflect Daubigny’s influence.

Highlights of the exhibition include Daubigny’s views of blossoming orchards, a subject he invented that the Impressionists soon took up, and dramatic moonlit landscapes; Pissarro’s “The Banks of the Oise near Pontoise” which echoes Daubigny’s compositions; Monet’s “Autumn on the Seine, Argenteuil,” which was painted from Monet’s studio boat; and the swirling intensity of Van Gogh’s “Daubigny’s Garden.”

MUST-SEES IN THE PERMANENT GALLERIES

Be sure to allow yourself enough time to walk through the rooms in the historic home filled with priceless art. For a tour of the highlights, pick up the “Taft Top 10” flyer.

The museum houses portraits by Rembrant and John Singer Sargent and a beautiful painting “At the Piano” by James Abbott McNeill Whistler, which is considered to be the artist’s first masterpiece. The landscape murals by Ronert S. Duncanson, are the most ambitious surviving pre-Civil War mural paintings for a home and a landscape by Joseph Mallord William Turner also anticipates some aspects of Impressionism.

'Hamilton' posted a casting call, but one of its stipulations is causing quite the stir

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

The popular Broadway show “Hamilton” was praised for its diverse cast until the producers posted a casting notice specifying that they were looking for “non-white” actors.

The casting notice came as the show intends to expand to other cities, but it may be illegal. According to Newman Ferrara Law Firm lawyer Randolph McLaughlin, the notice violates the New York City Human Rights Law, which makes it unlawful for an employer to discriminate based on race.

>> RELATED: 'Hamilton' cast members performed at the White House, and it was epic

The producer, Jeffrey Seller, defended his “non-white” casting notice WCBS, saying, “I stand by it and believe it to be legal.”

McLaughlin claims the producers can cast whoever they want based on artistic preference but must allow everyone to try out for the role.

“What if they put an ad out that said, ‘Whites only need apply?’” he said. “Why, African-Americans, Latinos, Asians would be outraged.”

>> Read more trending stories

The casting notice also appears to violate the policy of Actors Equity, which specifies that “…producers agree that auditions for all productions … will be conducted in such a manner as to provide full and fair consideration to actors of all ethnicities.”

The “Hamilton” press representative said the casting notice was approved by Actors Equity, but the union’s general counsel claims this is not the case. The audition notice they approved welcomed “all ethnicities.”

The City Commission on Human Rights has yet to receive a complaint but would not say if it was investigating the “non-white” casting notice.

A source informed WCBS that the commission would probably work with the “Hamilton” production team to help it comply with city laws if the controversy becomes an issue.

>> Click here to watch a video report

49 items
Results 11 - 20 of 49 < previous next >