Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

television

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

WATCH: Vin Diesel honors 'brother' Paul Walker at MTV awards

Vin Diesel still gets choked up when remembering his great friend, Paul Walker.

>> Watch the video here

On Sunday night at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, the action star accepted the MTV Generation Award on behalf of the “Fast and Furious” franchise and took a moment to remember Walker.

>> PHOTOS: 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards red carpet

“In 2002, I was standing on this stage, and MTV had given Paul Walker and I an award for best duo,” Diesel said. “And now, 15 years later, I’m with my whole family, and you’ve given us the Generation Award.”

Diesel was joined onstage with fellow “Fast and Furious” co-stars Tyrese Gibson, Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster, and got emotional when he directly addressed Walker.

>> PHOTOS: 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards show

“Pablo,” Diesel said, “we hope you’re proud.”

Diesel continued his acceptance speech by thanking friends and family for their support.

“I gotta thank a generation that was willing to accept this multicultural franchise, where it didn’t matter what color your skin was or what country you were from,” he said. “When you’re family, you’re family.”

>> Read more trending news

The speech ended with a video of some of Walker’s best movie moments.

Walker died in 2013 in a car crash while on a break from filming “Furious 7.” He was 40.

(H/T PEOPLE)

Sinclair to buy Tribune Media, expanding its local TV reach

Sinclair Broadcast Group, already the nation's largest local TV station operator, wants to be even bigger.

The company announced Monday that it will pay about $3.9 billion for Tribune Media and its 42 stations, which includes KTLA in Los Angeles, WGN in Chicago and WPIX in New York. Chicago-based Tribune also owns stakes in the Food Network and job-search website CareerBuilder.

Sinclair has 173 stations, including KUTV in Salt Lake City, KOMO in Seattle and WKRC in Cincinnati. The Tribune deal, plus other pending acquisitions, will give it a total of 233 stations, putting distance between it and rival Nexstar Media Group, which has 170.

Sinclair said it may have to sell some stations to comply with Federal Communications Commission rules, although the FCC has recently loosened rules related to media ownership. Sinclair is also in the process of buying Bonten Media Group, which owns 14 stations, for $240 million.

In all, Sinclair said its stations will reach 72 percent of all U.S. households with a TV once the Tribune and Bonten deals close.

Jeffrey McCall, a media studies professor at DePauw University in Indiana, said buying Tribune will give Sinclair more power to negotiate better deals with cable companies and national advertisers. Adding Tribune's stations will also expand Sinclair's reach into major cities that it didn't have a presence in before, such as New York and Chicago.

"It makes them a bigger boy on the block, so to speak," said McCall.

Public interest groups, however, opposed the deal. Public Knowledge, which is typically against media consolidation, said Monday that the deal will reduce "viewpoint diversity" and contribute to the "homogenization of broadcasting." It asked the Department of Justice and FCC to reject the deal.

Late last year, Sinclair had to defend itself against news reports that it made a deal with Donald Trump's presidential campaign for favorable coverage in its newscasts. In a December statement , Sinclair said that it had no such deal with Trump's team and that it had given both him and his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton "the same opportunities to be interviewed by our local anchors on a regular basis."

On Monday, Sinclair said it will pay about $43.50 in cash and stock for each share of Tribune, an 8 percent premium from Tribune's closing price of $40.29 on Friday. The Hunt Valley, Maryland-based company values the total transaction at $6.6 billion, when debt is included.

The deal is expected to close by the end of the year.

Shares of Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. fell 82 cents, or 2.2 percent, to close Monday at $36.13. Shares of Tribune Media Co. rose $2.11, or 5.2 percent, to $42.40.

"Real Housewives" star gets reprimand over probation slipups

A "Real Housewives of New Jersey" star on supervised release following her imprisonment for fraud could be in danger of violating her probation after she failed to report two traffic violations as required, according to a court filing.

Teresa Giudice was ticketed in northern New Jersey last month for talking on her cellphone while driving, and for making an illegal left turn in New York last September, according to the court filing last week.

She is required to report any contacts with law enforcement to her probation officer within 72 hours, the filing signed by Supervising Probation Officer Donald Martenz Jr. said. That didn't happen in either case, according to Martenz's report.

Future noncompliance by Giudice "will result in the issuance of a violation petition," the document went on to say.

Giudice's lawyer, James Leonard, didn't immediately respond to a message seeking comment Monday.

Giudice served nearly a year in prison and was released in December 2015 after pleading guilty to bankruptcy fraud. Her husband, Joe, is now serving a 41-month sentence for fraud and failing to pay about $200,000 in taxes.

Defense chips away at total 'Dance Moms' star hid from court

Defense attorneys for former "Dance Moms" reality star Abby Lee Miller spent the day Monday trying to chip away at about $775,000 in income federal prosecutors in Pittsburgh said she tried to hide from a bankruptcy judge.

The amount is important because it will drive the sentence Miller, 51, receives for her bankruptcy fraud plea last year. Assistant U.S. Attorney Gregory Melucci wants her to spend 2½ years in prison, while her attorneys are hoping she'll receive probation. The judge's decision could come later Monday.

Miller's attorney, Brandon Verdream, got FBI Special Agent Sean Langford to acknowledge Miller split some of her merchandise sales 55-45 with an investment partner and that some income from personal appearances didn't take into account her expenses.

But Melucci contends that doesn't matter. That's because someone in bankruptcy must truthfully disclose all income so the court can ensure creditors receive maximum value in a repayment plan approved by the court.

Melucci contends Miller repeatedly hid her true income — as well as contracts for future income from her TV shows — until her channel-surfing bankruptcy judge saw her on TV and concluded Miller must be making far more than the $8,899 in monthly income she initially declared.

Miller eventually coughed up $288,000 in TV income she didn't initially report, then federal investigators found she'd hidden nearly $550,000 more from personal appearances, dance sessions and merchandise sales.

Miller's other defense attorney, Robert Ridge, questioned her bankruptcy attorney, David Valencik. Valencik said Miller filed for bankruptcy after defaulting on a $245,000 Florida condominium mortgage and a $96,000 mortgage on her dance studio in Penn Hills, a Pittsburgh suburb.

Miller wanted the bankruptcy court to let her repay only $150,000 of the condominium mortgage at a lower interest rate and sought to repay her other debts in full, but without interest or at lower rates. The outraged bankruptcy judge eventually ordered Miller to repay every penny.

Valencik testified that Miller didn't immediately disclose the TV income because her career was just taking off and she couldn't guarantee her future earnings.

"We didn't think that it was reliable," he testified.

Judge Jeanine to Clinton: ‘Get back in the woods’

In her Opening Statement segment on Fox News’ “Justice with Judge Jeanine” program Saturday night, Jeanine Pirro criticized Hillary Clinton for playing the “poor me” card. Pirro also said that the former Democratic presidential candidate was continuing to make excuses for her election loss last November. Pirro also took some shots at former President Bill Clinton during her monologue.

>> Read more trending news 

"We've had it with you Clintons claiming victimhood," Pirro said, after Hillary Clinton told an audience she would have been president if the election came before FBI Director Jim Comey sent a letter to Congress in October.

Pirro added that since the former first lady previously took responsibility for her loss, she should stop blaming "boogeymen" such as Comey and others.

“Hillary, snap out of it,” Pirro said on “Justice.” “You’re a two-time loser who lost because you were a lousy candidate.

“The two of you haven’t followed the rules since the day you both showed up in your bell bottoms in Arkansas,” Pirro said. “You’re a loser, Hillary. Face it. Face it. And get back in the woods.”

Netflix renews '13 Reasons Why' for second season

Netflix has renewed the watercooler hit "13 Reasons Why" for a second season.

The streaming service announced Sunday that it has picked up the series revolving around the suicide of a high school girl. Season two will debut on Netflix next year.

While Netflix doesn't release ratings information, "13 Reasons Why" has proven a conversation-starting drama.

Some have criticized the show for glorifying suicide, which led to Netflix adding an additional warning ahead of the series.

The Selena Gomez-produced "13 Reasons Why" is based on Jay Asher's young adult best-seller.

The second season will also be 13 episodes long.

Selena Gomez: ‘13 Reasons Why’ renewed for second season

The controversial Netflix program “13 Reasons Why” has been renewed for a second season by Netflix, according to Selena Gomez, one of the series’ executive producers.

>> Read more trending news 

"Their story isn't over. Season 2 of #13ReasonsWhy is coming," Gomez posted on Instagram on Saturday.

Based on the 2007 novel by Jay Asher, the show focuses on the suicide of teenager Hannah Baker and its impact on her fellow high school students after she leaves behind 13 cassette tapes that explain her decision. 

The cast for Season 2 has not been announced. 

Since its debut on March 31, “13 Reasons Why” has become the most-tweeted about show of 2017, with Netflix reporting more than 11 million mentions, EOnline reported. 

Asher hinted at a potential second season, although he never wrote a follow-up to his debut novel. 

“I'd just like a continuation of all those characters,” Asher told Entertainment Weekly. “I'm curious as well. What happens to Clay? How do people react to what Alex did at the very end? What's going to happen to Mr. Porter? I'd thought of a sequel at some point. I'd brainstormed it, but decided I wasn't going to write it. So I'd love to see it.”

WWE camera operator sues Titus O’Neil after prank goes awry

A WWE camera operator filed a $1.2 million lawsuit against Titus O'Neil after the professional wrestler allegedly attacked him when a Swerved” video prank went awry, Bleacher Report reported.

>> Read more trending news

According to a TMZ Sports report, O'Neil, whose real name is Thaddeus Bullard, allegedly hurt camera operator Donald Anderson. Anderson claimed his hand, fingers and wrist were injured after O’Neil allegedly knocked the camera out of his hand when he was struck with a cattle prod during the segment of “Swerved.” The lawsuit says Anderson also was sent home “in fear of the possibility of further attacks by Titus,” according to Bleacher Report.

The lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, TMZ reported.

According to court documents, the incident took place May 18, 2015. No criminal charges were filed in the case, nor is it clear if police were involved.

O’Neil, who played college football at the University of Florida and played in the Arena Football League from 2003 to 2009, could not be reached for comment, TMZ reported.

Gorilla Flicks is the production company behind “Swerved,” according to Wrestling-Online.

FCC to review Stephen Colbert's Trump-Putin joke

“The Late Show” host Stephen Colbert came under fire last week after he lobbed several controversial insults at President Donald Trump and used a sexual reference while describing Trump’s relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The hashtag #FireColbert quickly spread across the internet, and in a follow-up monologue, Colbert doubled down on his comments.

>> Watch the clip here (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised)

While it didn’t seem like there would be any actual backlash, the Federal Communications Commission has announced that it is looking into Colbert’s statements to see if any rules were brokenAccording to The Hill, the FCC said it will “take the appropriate action” if any of the remarks were “obscene.” The group reportedly received a significant number of complaints against Colbert, whose show airs on CBS.

>> Read more trending news

Since Colbert's show airs after 10 p.m., his show is judged a little less harshly than those airing during the day when most children are in front of television sets. However, it’s unlikely that critics will achieve their goal of getting Colbert off the air as the FCC generally only levies a fine on programs that break their rules. And for left-leaning Stephen Colbert, it’s unlikely that a fine will be much of a deterrent for future attacks on Trump.

'SNL' pokes fun at 'Morning Joe' romance, tries to find Kellyanne Conway 

"Saturday Night Live" got hot and steamy in this week's cold open.

Saturday's episode, hosted by "Star Trek" actor Chris Pine, kicked off with a parody of MSNBC's "Morning Joe" and poked fun at the engagement of Joe Scarborough (Alex Moffat) and Mika Brzezinski (Kate McKinnon) in a sexual tension-filled sketch.

"This party – your party – the Republican Party – is completely morally bankrupt at this point," McKinnon's Brzezinski told her co-host about the American Health Care Act.

"Oh, Mika, that's enough, OK?" Moffat-as-Scarborough replied. "You're being persnickety because you know it pushes my buttons."

"Does it push your buttons?" she said breathlessly, giving him a sultry look.

>> Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski engaged

"It does," he said before McKinnon ran her fingers through his hair.

Their exchanges became increasingly (and hilariously) inappropriate, culminating with McKinnon nibbling on Moffat's nose.

The pair also took a brief break from their love fest to take a call from President Donald Trump spokesman "John Miller," a pseudonym that Trump reportedly used in the past while posing as his own publicist.

"First, I want to wish everyone a happy Cinco de Mayo, which is the day all Mexicans eat a sink full of mayonnaise," said Trump/Miller, played by Alec Baldwin.

He then sang the praises of the House's passage of the Republican health care bill.

>> Read more trending news

"After Congress voted, we had a party," he said. "There was beer. The disaster that was Obamacare has finally been repealed."

Moffat's Scarborough interjected, "Hold on, sir. It's not repealed yet; the bill still has to pass the Senate."

"What now?" Baldwin-as-Trump/Miller asked.

"The bill goes through the Senate," Moffat's Scarborough replied. "They might even rewrite the entire thing if they pass it at all."

"But there was beer," Baldwin's Trump/Miller said incredulously.

>> Watch the full sketch here

The show took another swipe at the Trump administration later in a "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?"-themed sketch about "missing" Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway (McKinnon). 

"Well, she used to be on TV, on like every single panel, then one day we all woke up and she was no longer there," Pine and cast members crooned in the theme song to the parody of the '90s PBS game show. "What could have happened? She is not on any channel. Tell me, where in the world is Kellyanne Conway?" 

After two kids took the stage to compete, the game show's host (Mikey Day) asked them, "Are you guys ready to help us find Kellyanne Conway?"

"Well, we don't want to find her," one contestant replied.

"OK, well, that's our show," Day said. "Seven weeks in a row and no one wants to find that woman."

>> Watch the sketch here

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >