Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

breaking news

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

5 Eaton women witness moments after Las Vegas shooting

UPDATE @ 2:34 p.m.:

A group of five Eaton women are in Las Vegas and witnessed the chaos that followed the shooting at the Route 91 concert Sunday night.

Janet Eby was one of the women and she said the group found out about the shooting when they got off the bus on the Las Vegas strip.

TRENDING: Las Vegas shooting: Live updates

“At that point we just attempted to head back to the hotel,” Eby said.  “The eerie thing was that everyone on the strip and walking was solemn, everyone was on their cell phones, we could hear the police, see the police, going down the street"

Eby is a member of the women’s singing group “Something Good,” who are spending time in Vegas for what she described as a “girls week out.” The group is staying at the Marriott Grand Chateu.

INITIAL REPORT:

A Bellbrook native attending the Route 91 Festival in Las Vegas left minutes before the shooting began, according to her mother. 

Molly Sparks called her mother, Lori, early Monday and told her about the mass shootings. 

“As a parent getting that 2 a.m. phone call from your children is heart-stopping,” Lori Sparks posted on Facebook. 

“I got that call (this morning) from my daughter Molly Sparks who had been at that country concert in Las Vegas, but luckily had left about 30 minutes before the chaos started,” she added. “Those that were not so lucky, my heart goes out to their families and I will pray for the injured as well. I hope that type of call never happens again.”

A local couple vacationing in Las Vegas chose not to attend the Route 91 Festival in Las Vegas at the last minute, a decision that may have saved their lives." 

Holly Bennett, who is from Xenia, and her husband were in Las Vegas the night tragedy struck after a gunman opened fire at a concert, killing at least 50 people and wounding over 200, the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. They are safe after deciding to attend another show, rather than the Route 91 Festival the night of October 1.

“We decided not to go because of the chaos that happened the night before”, said Bennett. “Instead, we ended up going to a Cirque du Soleil show.”

Bennett was staying at The Mirage hotel, which is right next to the Mandalay Bay where the shootings occurred and fortunately got word of the shootings early and made an escape plan.

RELATED: How to check on loved ones after deadly Las Vegas shooting

“There was word of a shooting, so we went seven miles downtown to stay away from it”, she said.

Bennett has been stuck at a downtown Las Vegas casino since the shootings first occurred and is unsure when she or  the many others who are stuck as well, will be able to go back to their hotel.

“The entire strip is shut down, back roads are closed, and they are not allowing residents to get back in their hotel, especially at the New York-New York hotel”, Bennett said.

She said police are investigating the New York-New York Hotel specifically, which is right across the street from the Mandalay Bay, and she is unsure why. 

RELATED: Photos: Deadly Las Vegas mass shooting

Nonetheless, Bennett says police have been great with giving out information and updating everyone on the unexpected situation.

“Knowing this to be one of the largest shootings, it is unbelievable and shocking”, said Bennett. “The atmosphere is weird, kind of somber, and strange”.

Bennett is not scheduled to fly out of Las Vegas until Wednesday and although flights have been affected by the incident, she believes she will have no problem getting home. 

Photos: Deadly Las Vegas mass shooting

Multiple people were reportedly shot Sunday night on the Las Vegas Strip, where the Route 91 Harvest country music festival was taking place.

Tom Price resigns amid criticism over charter flights 

Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price resigned Friday amid an investigation into his use of charter flights to travel for government business, the White House confirmed in a statement.

>> Read more trending news

"Secretary of Health and Human Services Thomas Price offered his resignation earlier today and the president accepted," a statement from White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said. "The president intends to designate Don J. Wright of Virginia to serve as acting secretary, effective at 11:59 p.m. on September 29, 2017. Mr. Wright currently serves as the deputy assistant secretary for health and director of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion."

Will this year’s wild weather impact fall color?

The changing color of fall foliage is one of the best parts about fall weather in Ohio.

RELATED: Track the latest conditions on Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

Different types of trees show different colors like the bright reds from oaks, the yellows from the birch trees, or the beautiful mixes that buckeye trees reveal.

RELATED: #SkyWitness7

Ohio Department of Natural Resources forester Casey Burdick said this year will be another great one for fall colors and weather can play a roll in how early leaves reveal their true color.

>>Latest Local News

This year, according to Burdick, the wet weather in late spring and early summer created stress in some urban trees and along the edges of woodlands, so early color can be seen there. The true trigger though for full fall color though is the shorter days and longer nights. 

"To get the best color we need that sap to thicken up so it needs to cool off a little bit so the tree can prepare, as the day shorten that's really the trigger that causes fall color to start," said Burdick. 

The loss of sunlight causes a chemical breakdown in the leaf breaking down the green chlorophyll and allowing the reds, yellows, oranges and purples to show. Peak fall color is expected in the Miami Valley towards the end of the third full week of October. 

Auburn, Oklahoma State, USC coaches among 10 charged with corruption

Federal prosecutors on Tuesday announced charges against 10 people accused of participating in a pair of college basketball bribery schemes, including four coaches in top-tier college basketball programs and employees of global sportswear apparel giant Adidas.

>> Read more trending news 

“The picture painted by the charges brought today is not a pretty one,” acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim said at a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities allege that four coaches took bribes to steer their student athletes toward financial advisers, business managers and athletic advisers, including Jim Gatto, listed online as the director of global marketing for Adidas; and Munish Sood, identified by The Washington Post as chief executive of financial advisory company Princeton Capital.

Prosecutors identified the charged coaches as Auburn University assistant coach Chuck Person, University of Southern California assistant coach Tony Bland, University of Arizona assistant coach Emanuel "Book" Richardson and Oklahoma State University assistant coach Lamont Evans.

Equifax CEO is out after massive data breach

Equifax CEO Richard Smith is out after the credit bureau reported a massive data breach earlier this month.

>> Read more trending news

The move, described as a retirement, was made effective immediately on Tuesday. Paulino do Rego Barros Jr., the head of Equifax’s Asian operations, has been named interim CEO, and board member Mark Feidler has been named non-executive chairman.

Officials with the Atlanta-based credit reporting and technology company said a “cyber security incident” might have exposed the personal information of 143 million Americans.

Hackers exploited a software glitch to gain access to the trove of personal data, the company said. Equifax disclosed earlier this month that the data breach was discovered in July and believed to have taken place from mid-May to July.

>> Related: Equifax, software maker blame each other for opening door to hackers

The data believed to have been accessed included names, Social Security numbers, birth dates and addresses.

In a statement, Feidler said, “The Board remains deeply concerned about and totally focused on the cybersecurity incident.”

“We are working intensely to support consumers and make the necessary changes to minimize the risk that something like this happens again,” he said. “We have formed a Special Committee of the Board to focus on the issues arising from the incident and to ensure that all appropriate actions are taken.”

Smith had been Equifax's CEO since 2005.

In a statement, Smith called his tenure at Equifax “an honor, and I’m indebted to the 10,000 Equifax employees who have dedicated their lives to making this a better company.”

Although many analysts had applauded Equifax's performance under Smith, he and the rest of his management team had come under fire for lax security and its response to the breach.

Smith is expected to testify before Congress in early October.

>> Related: Equifax apologizes for sending people to fake company website 

WSBTV obtained video of the Smith speaking to students and faculty at the University of Georgia last month, after the company’s massive data breach occurred but before the company disclosed it.

The company didn’t disclose the breach until Sept. 7.

The Associated Press, Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Trump's latest statement 'a declaration of war,' North Korean foreign minister says

North Korea's foreign minister on Monday told reporters that President Donald Trump has issued "a declaration of war" against the Hermit Kingdom in the president’s most recent statements on the country.

>> Read more trending news

However, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders insisted at a news briefing on Monday that no declaration had been made.

“We’ve not declared war on North Korea, and frankly the suggestion of that is absurd,” she said.

On Saturday, Trump said that North Korea "won't be around much longer" if it continues to threaten the United States.

 

Facebook to give Congress Russian-linked 2016 election ads

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on Thursday that the social media company will turn over to Congress thousands of ads believed to have been bought by Russian agents attempting to influence last year’s presidential election.

>> Read more trending news

Facebook officials said earlier this month that more than 3,000 ads were uncovered that ran between 2015 and 2017 and appeared to have come from a Russian entity that aimed to influence the election.

Reports: Trump's controversial decisions in office under scrutiny by Mueller

Special counsel Robert Mueller has asked the White House for documents related to some of the most scrutinized decisions made by President Donald Trump while in office, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news

The request indicates that Trump’s actions in the White House are being included in the scope of Mueller’s investigation.

One dies, 7 injured in explosion on training field at Fort Bragg

One soldier has died after a training exercise accident at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. He was identified Thursday evening as Staff Sgt. Alexander P. Dalida, 32, of Dunstable, Mass.

Another seven people were injured in the explosion.

>> Read more trending news

 The Associated Press contributed to this report.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >