Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

national govt & politics

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

What did Sen. Bob Corker say about President Trump?

President Donald Trump and Sen. Bob Corker traded barbs on social media on Sunday.

The president claimed the Tennessee Republican, who announced last month that he would not seek re-election, begged for Trump’s endorsement before deciding not to run. Corker, for his part, implied that Trump is immature.

>> Read more trending news

What did the president say?

Trump said in a series of tweets on Sunday morning that he refused to give Corker an endorsement for what would have been his re-election campaign in 2018 and that Corker had hoped to be secretary of state.

“He could not win without my endorsement,” Trump wrote. “He also wanted to be Secretary of State, I said ‘NO THANKS.’”

The president said his refusal to back Corker would explain his “negative voice.”

“(He) didn’t have the guts to run!” he wrote.

Trump-Corker feud heats up as senator says president's threats could lead to 'World War III'

President Donald Trump began his Sunday morning by attacking a Senate Republican on Twitter.

>> Trump's cryptic tweet about North Korea: 'Only one thing will work'

In three tweets directed at Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, Trump wrote:

"Senator Bob Corker 'begged' me to endorse him for re-election in Tennessee. I said 'NO' and he dropped out (said he could not win without my endorsement). He also wanted to be Secretary of State, I said 'NO THANKS.' He is also largely responsible for the horrendous Iran Deal! Hence, I would fully expect Corker to be a negative voice and stand in the way of our great agenda. Didn’t have the guts to run!"

Corker responded to the president’s tweet by saying, “It’s a shame the White House has become an adult day care center.”

>> See the tweet here

Corker also told The New York Times on Sunday that Trump's recklessness could send the country "on the path to World War III." Read the full report here.

The angry comments follow recent comments from Corker about Trump’s cabinet and its ability to keep the world from “chaos.”

>> Read more trending news

Last week, when asked about the NBC News report that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called the president a “moron,” Corker told reporters that the Cabinet functions to “separate our country from chaos, and [he supports] them very much” in a statement that could be read to imply that Trump was causing “chaos.” White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders addressed the statement, offering that Trump was the one “keeping the world from chaos.”

Corker announced in September that he would not be seeking reelection, after some deliberation. Trump reportedly asked Corker to run for re-election, though Trump claims in his latest string of tweets that Corker “begged” for his endorsement.

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Trump's cryptic tweet about North Korea: 'Only one thing will work'

President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to double down on recent ominous remarks about North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

>> Read more trending news

"Presidents and their administrations have been talking to North Korea for 25 years, agreements made and massive amounts of money paid hasn't worked, agreements violated before the ink was dry, makings fools of U.S. negotiators. Sorry, but only one thing will work!" Trump wrote

Trump’s tweets follow a tense few weeks between the United States and North Korea. On the floor of the United Nations, Trump and the North Korean foreign minister traded accusations and threatsOn Oct. 1, Trump tweeted that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson should save his “energy, we’ll do what has to be done.”

Last week, Trump had dinner with military leaders and their spouses. Before the event, he called in the press corps and directed them to take a picture of the group. Surrounded by his military top-brass, the president remarked, “You know what this represents? It could be the calm before the storm.” However, he hasn’t remarked what “the storm” he alluded to might be, and some suspect he was just playing up the cameras.

>> Watch the moment here

The United States and North Korea have also been flexing their military muscles at each other over the past few months. Kim's regime has launched multiple missiles, setting the nations around him like Japan and South Korea on edge. In response, the United States has flown bombers right up to the border and run military exercises with the South Koreans.

Vice President Pence: America will send astronauts to the moon again

Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday reiterated the Trump administration’s commitment to bringing America to the forefront of space travel and exploration, vowing to put another American on the moon and to send people to Mars and beyond.

>> Read more trending news

“We will return American astronauts to the moon, not only to leave behind footprints and flags, but to build the foundation we need to send Americans to Mars and beyond,” Pence said while addressing the National Space Council in its first gathering in more than two decades.

“The moon will be a stepping stone, a training ground, a venue to strengthen our commercial and international partnerships as we refocus America’s space program toward human space exploration.”

Pence, several cabinet secretaries and White House advisers gathered in the shadow of the shuttle at the Smithsonian Institution's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center to chart a new path in space -- government, commercial and military -- for the country. It was the first meeting of the National Space Council, revived after it was disbanded in 1993.

The NSC has been tasked with reviewing American policies, creating long-term goals for the space program and coordinating national space activities. The strategy shared by Pence on Thursday and in an op-ed he penned for The Wall Street Journal appeared to focus heavily on human space flight, economic development and national security, Space.com reported.

The vice president said Thursday that by strengthening America’s position on the final frontier, officials will also be strengthening the nation’s position back on Earth.

“Today, more than ever before, our nation’s prosperity, security and identity depend on American leadership in space,” Pence said.

No humans have been on the moon since Apollo 17 in December 1972. Only 12 men have set foot on the moon, all have been Americans.

Past presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush proposed returns to the moon and then going on to Mars. Barack Obama rerouted the moon plan to an asteroid as a first-stop with Mars as the goal. All plans had lack of money keep them from coming true, said space expert Brian Weeden of the Secure World Foundation. He wasn't part of the council meeting.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

NRA calls for regulation of 'bump stocks' after Las Vegas massacre

The National Rifle Association is calling for federal officials to review regulations that allow people to buy devices which can make semi-automatic guns fire at a rate similar to automatic weapons in the wake of a mass shooting that left nearly 60 people dead and hundreds injured.

>> Read more trending news

Authorities told The Associated Press that they found a dozen of the devices, known as bump stocks, on weapons used Sunday by Stephen Paddock to fire hundreds of bullets at people gathered in Las Vegas for the Route 91 Harvest music festival.

In a statement released Thursday, NRA officials said that the group “believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.”

The lobbying group also reiterated its commitment to fight against gun regulation.

“The first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control,” officials said. “Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks.”

The statement was issued as lawmakers consider the possibility of banning the devices.

>> Related: What is a bump stock, how does it work and is it legal?

"If somebody can essentially convert a semi-automatic weapon by buying one of these and utilizing it and cause the kind of mayhem and mass casualties that we saw in Las Vegas, that's something of obvious concern that we ought to explore,” the No. 2 Senate Republican, John Cornyn of Texas, said on Thursday. "I own a lot of guns and as a hunter and sportsman I think that's our right as Americans, but I don't understand the use of this bump stock and that's another reason to have a hearing."

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said at a news briefing on Thursday that the administration would be “very open” to discussing the possibility of banning bump stocks.

“We welcome, certainly, that and conversation on that,” she said.

President Donald Trump visited Las Vegas on Wednesday but said "We're not going to talk about that today" when asked about gun issues.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Wearing 'Nasty' shirt, San Juan mayor rips Trump's hurricane response

Wearing a shirt emblazoned with the word “Nasty,” the mayor of Puerto Rico’s biggest city ripped into President Donald Trump on Wednesday for his response to the devastation left on the U.S. territory by Hurricane Maria.

>> Read more trending news

Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz wore the shirt during an interview with Spanish-language station Univision.

"When someone is bothered by someone claiming (a) lack of drinking water, lack of medicine for the sick and lack of food for the hungry, that person has problems too deep to be explained in an interview,” Cruz said, according to Newsweek. “What is really nasty is that anyone would turn their back on the Puerto Rican people.”

Critics of Trump first started embracing the “nasty” moniker in 2016, when as the Republican presidential nominee he called Democratic rival Hillary Clinton a “nasty woman” during a presidential debate.

Over the weekend he used the word to describe Cruz, claiming that she was criticizing him at the urging of Democrats.

“The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump,” he wrote.

It’s not the first time Cruz has used her clothing to send a message. She donned a shirt that had the phrase, “Help us, we are dying,” on it for an interview Friday with CNN.

The mayor has been a prominent figure since Hurricane Maria started barreling toward Puerto Rico. The storm made landfall on the island on Sept. 20, bringing devastating winds and torrential rains. More than 30 deaths on the island have been attributed to the hurricane, which also knocked out Puerto Rico’s entire power grid and left many of its 3.4 million residents without potable water.

>> Related: Trump getting bad reviews over Puerto Rico visit, saying damage wasn’t ‘a real catastrophe’

Cruz has been vocal in her criticism of Trump, praising White House officials, but criticizing the president for the administration’s overall response. 

Trump visited Puerto Rico on Tuesday and faced criticism after he was caught on video throwing rolls of paper towels to victims of the storm who were waiting for the president to pass out supplies.

He told officials that they should be “very proud” that the death toll from the storm was so low, unlike the deaths seen in “a real catastrophe, like (2005’s Hurricane) Katrina.”

Amid controversy, GOP Rep. Tim Murphy will not seek re-election

Republican congressman Tim Murphy of Pennsylvania announced Wednesday night that he will not seek re-election in 2018.

>> Read more trending newsMurphy’s decision not to run for a ninth term came amid revelations of an extramarital affair, in which the anti-abortion lawmaker urged his mistress in text messages to have an abortion when he thought she was pregnant.  “After discussions with my family and staff, I have come to the decision that I will not seek reelection to Congress at the end of my current term,” Murphy said in a statement. “I plan to spend my remaining months in office continuing my work as the national leader on mental health care reform, as well as issues affecting working families in southwestern Pennsylvania."We have accomplished much in the past year through the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act and there is much work yet to be done."In the coming weeks I will take personal time to seek help as my family and I continue to work through our personal difficulties and seek healing. I ask you to respect our privacy during this time.”Murphy’s attorney was in an Allegheny County courtroom, where a judge ordered the congressman to give a deposition about his affair with a married woman.That deposition will be used in divorce proceedings between Dr. Jesse Salley and his wife, Shannon Edwards. Murphy’s attorney made a motion to get those proceedings postponed, but the judge denied it. The judge denied the motion.In court Wednesday, Edwards’ attorney admitted Edwards and the congressman had an affair. And according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,  Edwards became upset earlier this year, calling Murphy a hypocrite because of his pro-life political stance but suggesting she have an abortion. In a text message she wrote: "And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options." The congressman is expected to give his deposition before Oct. 31, when the divorce proceedings begin.

Civil Rights icon John Lewis revives gun control push after Las Vegas shooting

Civil rights figurehead Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia, re-upped the pressure on his Republican colleagues Wednesday to pass gun control legislation in the aftermath of Sunday’s mass shooting in Las Vegas.

>> Read more trending news

Lewis and several of his House Democratic colleagues held a press conference on the steps of the U.S. Capitol to honor the victims of the shooting and protest Congress’ inaction on gun control in recent years. He was joined by House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and former Congressman Gabby Giffords, who narrowly escaped death after she was shot in the head at a constituent meet-and-greet in 2011.

“This Congress has failed the American people. As in Newtown and Aurora and Charleston and Orlando, now in Las Vegas, how many more must die? A hundred? A thousand? 10,000? A million? What is your blood price? How many more must die?” Lewis asked, according to Politico. “But there’s no number, is there? There’s no amount of blood or pain or death or suffering that would move this Congress to act. We hold moments of silence and vigil. We offer our thoughts and prayers, but it’s all a show, a placeholder until people forget.”

>> Read the latest on the Las Vegas shootings

The group called for passage of a bill that would strengthen firearm background checks. Lawmakers also want Congress to establish a bipartisan Select Committee on Gun Violence to study the issue and recommend other potential legislation.

The press conference came more than a year after Lewis and his colleagues seized the House floor for more than 24 hours to protest GOP leaders’ refusal to bring up gun control legislation in the aftermath of the deadly shootings at an Orlando night club. Lewis evoked his civil rights roots for the sit-in, which dominated social media as Democratic lawmakers streamed their protests live from the House floor.

Their effort did not work. House Speaker Paul Ryan declined to bring up for a vote anything that would tighten gun laws and raised the prospect of punishing the Democratic lawmakers for breaking the chamber’s rules.

Minds are not likely to change this time either. Lewis reportedly approached Ryan earlier this week to see if he would come to Wednesday’s press conference, Politico reported. Ryan declined.

This weekend’s shootings may have changed the fate of at least one piece of firearms-related legislation on Capitol Hill. Ryan apparently put a bill that would have eased restrictions on gun silencers on the back burner.

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Russia meddled in election to 'create chaos at every level,' congressional investigators say

The investigation into allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election continues, congressional investigators said on Wednesday, emphasizing at a news conference that the interference appears to be ongoing but that investigators have yet to reach conclusions on allegations of collusion.

>> Read more trending news

Sen. Richard Burr, R-North Carolina, chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said that investigators had yet to determine whether Russia aimed to help any particular side in November.

“It seems that the overall theme of the Russian involvement in the U.S. election was to create chaos at every level,” he said.

Burr and the committee’s vice chairman, Sen. Mark Warner, D-Virginia, warned that the investigation has indicated that Russian agents are continuing efforts to influence results at the ballot box.

"The Russian intelligence service is determined (and) clever, and I recommend that every campaign and every election official take this very seriously as we move into this November's election, and as we move into preparation for the 2018 election," Burr said.

>> Related: Facebook to give Congress Russian-linked 2016 election ads

>> Related: Mueller impanels grand jury to investigate Russian election meddling: Report

Tillerson slams reports he considered resigning, called Trump a 'moron'

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson denied on Wednesday that he has ever considered leaving his post after a report surfaced claiming he called the president a “moron” over the summer and thought about resigning.

>> Read more trending news

“My commitment to my president and our country is strong,” Tillerson said. “I serve at the appointment of the president and I’m here for as long as the president believes I can be useful.”

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >