Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

national

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Jennifer Lopez donating $1M to aid hurricane relief in Puerto Rico

On Sunday, singer Jennifer Lopez appeared alongside New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo in a press conference to announce that she will be donating $1 million from the proceeds of her Las Vegas show to aid hurricane relief in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. Lopez, 48, spoke first in Spanish and then in English in a speech that was live-streamed on Twitter.

>> Read more trending news

“Alex Rodriguez and I, who are both New Yorkers, are utilizing all of our resources and relationships in entertainment, sports and business to garner support for Puerto Rican and Caribbean relief efforts,” Lopez said.

>> On Rare.us: Alex Rodriguez bashfully addresses Jennifer Lopez engagement rumors

“I’ve been so moved by the initial responses … They have been overwhelming,” she said. “Nobody has said no. Anybody we’ve have called is right there asking what they can do. They’re all very eager to help.”

Lopez also confirmed that she still hasn’t heard from all of her family members in Puerto Rico. “My cousin and I and our family still haven’t been able to hear from all of our family over there, and we are concerned for them and for everybody on the island,” she said.

>> Watch the video here

Hurricane Maria: Live updates

Hurricane Maria continues to churn in the Atlantic Ocean. The deadly storm has claimed lives on multiple islands in its path.

>> Read more trending news 

WWII veteran, 97, kneels in support of NFL's national anthem protests

A photo of a World War II veteran kneeling in solidarity with NFL players quickly went viral amid Sunday's national anthem protests.

>> Live updates: Trump slams players, NFL responds by taking a knee

>> PHOTOS: NFL takes a stand on football Sunday

According to the Kansas City Star, Brennan Gilmore tweeted the snapshot of his 97-year-old grandfather, John Middlemas of Willard, Missouri, early Sunday. By Monday morning, it had been shared more than 100,000 times.

>> See the tweet here

"Those kids have every right to protest," Middlemas said, according to Gilmore's tweet.

Gilmore added: "Grandpa has been an ally to the civil rights movement for many years. He's an amazing man always on the side of justice."

>> See the tweet here

In an interview with the Springfield News-Leader, Middlemas said he wanted to promote peace.

>> Read more trending news

"I wanted to communicate what I always told to my grandkids and everybody else: When they'd go to bed at night, we'd tell the kids we wanted to be like Jesus," he said, adding, "I'm trying to say that you have to love everybody. ... We don't kill people. We want to make people live."

Read more here or here.

Trump administration announces new travel ban: 'The tougher, the better'

The Trump administration late Sunday announced it is replacing its travel ban with a new proclamation barring visitors from eight countries, saying those nations are not doing enough to block terrorists from reaching the United States. 

>> On AJC.com: Dishwasher to Doctor: Syrian refugee achieves American dream. Now he helps others do the same.

The new directive continues existing restrictions against Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. And it adds new ones for Chad, North Korea and Venezuela starting Oct. 18 and remaining in place indefinitely until the countries toughen their security procedures. Venezuela’s restrictions narrowly apply to that nation’s government officials – and their immediate relatives – who are responsible for traveler screening procedures.

>> On AJC.com: From March: Trump travel ban again targets refugees 

“The travel ban: The tougher, the better,” President Donald Trump told reporters in Washington on Sunday. 

The first version of Trump’s travel ban — announced in January — sowed widespread confusion, triggered angry demonstrations in Atlanta and across the nation and ultimately stalled amid constitutional challenges. Trump replaced it in March with an order barring visitors from six Muslim-majority countries: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. 

>> On MyAJC.com: From June: U.S. Supreme Court reinstates key parts of Trump’s travel ban

It also halted this nation’s refugee resettlement program. Senior administration officials said Sunday they would announce plans for next fiscal year’s refugee resettlements in the coming days.

Like his original travel ban, Trump’s March 6 order drew court challenges. Trump has cast his travel restrictions as efforts to block terrorist attacks, while his critics say they are driven by discrimination. The U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments about it on Oct. 10. 

>> On MyAJC.com: From June: Travel ban begins as guidelines draw fire

Walt Wallace — a traveler from Richmond, Virginia, who was traveling through Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on Sunday — said he understood the security issues involved in the travel ban. But he also said he was concerned about the impact on "people who are legitimately trying to come here... escaping persecution."

>> Read more trending news

Edward Ahmed Mitchell, executive director of Georgia chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said Friday his organization might send attorneys to the airport. Mitchell added his organization will be watching to see if the restrictions are "motivated by legitimate concerns about national security, or are they motivated by anti-Muslim bigotry." 

"If the order only impacts people who do not already have visas to travel here, then nobody should be caught up at the airport," Mitchell said. But "if the order affects those already in transit like the first order did, then chaos could erupt and we'd need our attorneys at the airport."

Kayaker finds bag full of puppies in river

A kayaker found a grain bag containing six puppies floating in a river Sunday in Uxbridge.

>> Read more trending news

The bag was tied up and the puppies were dumped in the river and left for dead, police said.

Uxbridge animal control was called to the scene and took the puppies. All of them are expected to be OK and are being taken care of.

The puppies are receiving the necessary care, and will be available for adoption after they have been medically cleared.

Uxbridge Police do not have any suspects yet.

Shark bites surfer at Florida beach

A surfer was hospitalized Sunday afternoon after being bitten by a shark at Lake Worth Beach.

>> Read more trending news

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said the attack happened about 1:50 p.m. When paramedics arrived, the man was already on the beach being tended to by lifeguards.

He was bitten in an “upper extremity,” according to the fire department.

According to WPTV Channel 5, the surfer’s injuries were minor, and witnesses said the shark was pursuing a school of bait fish just before the surfer was bitten.

NASCAR owners threaten to fire those who protest during national anthem

It appeared no drivers, crew or other team members participated in a protest during the national anthem to start the NASCAR Cup series race Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

Several team owners and executives said they wouldn’t tolerate anyone in their organizations protesting. They could be fired if they had.

“It’ll get you a ride on a Greyhound bus,” Richard Childress, who was Dale Earnhardt’s long time team owner, said of protesting. “Anybody that works for me should respect the country we live in. So many people gave their lives for it. This is America.”

As the NFL, NBA and MLB have seen players, owners and teams protest and remark on social media in the wake of President Donald Trump's comments Friday and throughout the weekend about athletes who peacefully protest during the national anthem, several NASCAR owners weighed in.

Richard Petty was asked if drivers protesting during the anthem would be fired, and he said, “You’re right.”

“Anybody that don’t stand up for the anthem oughta be out of the country. Period. What got ’em where they’re at? The United States,” Petty said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

One Pittsburgh Steeler stood for national anthem

Initial reports were that the entire Pittsburgh Steelers football team would stay in the locker room during the national anthem for their game in Chicago after incendiary comments over the weekend from President Donald Trump regarding players who peacefully protest.

>> Read more trending news

While most of the team did sit out "The Star-Spangled Banner," one member of the Steelers was not in the locker room: left tackle Alejandro Villanueva.

Villanueva, a former Army Ranger, was deployed to Afghanistan three times during his military career. Villanueva reached the rank of major before starting his NFL career in 2014.

Other teams around the league also participated in protests whether it was kneeling, standing and locking arms, or staying in the locker room during the national anthem. 

Falcons, Lions link arms during national anthem; singer kneels after performing it

Before kickoff of the Lions and Falcons game, both teams stood linking arms on the sidelines to “celebrate (our) differences,” the announcer said before Rico LaVelle sang the national anthem. 

>> Read more trending news

Falcons owner Arthur Blank linked arms with Julio Jones and Devonta Freeman on the sidelines. Detroit Lions owner Martha Firestone Ford stood with her arms linked with the players. 

LaVelle, the Detroit-native singer, waited until the end of the “The Star-Spangled Banner” to kneel. 

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >