Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

world

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Prince George, Princess Charlotte steal the show at Queen's Trooping the Color parade

They may not have made an appearance until the very end, but Prince George and Princess Charlotte were everyone’s favorite part of Saturday’s Trooping the Color parade to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s “official” birthday.

>> Photos: Charming Princess Charlotte, Prince George at 'Trooping the Color' parade

While their elder family members paraded through London, the tiny royals were seen peeking through the curtains of Buckingham Palace to get a look at the festivities, People reported. Once the royal family returned to the palace to watch the Royal Air Force’s display, George and Charlotte finally made their debut.

>> Read more trending news

Charlotte waved to the crowd from her mother’s arms, while George excitedly watched the air force fly by. The royal toddlers had many questions for their parents during the display, curiously pointing at the sights around them. At one point, Prince George waved his hands around like an orchestra conductor.

>> Queen Elizabeth II celebrates ‘official’ birthday with Trooping the Color parade

The big event commemorated the Queen’s 91st birthday, which was in April. However, it’s customary to honor Her Majesty with a public ceremony in the summer.

>> Click here or scroll down to see the photos

Putin weighs option, calls retaliatory measures ‘premature’

Russian President Vladimir Putin said it was “premature” to discuss retaliation against a possible new round of sanctions the U.S. is considering against Moscow, Reuters reported Saturday.

>> Read more trending news

“We need to see how it is all going to be. That is why it is premature to speak publicly about our retaliatory actions,” Putin said according to the state news agency RIA.

Earlier this week the Senate voted overwhelmingly to impose new sanctions on Russia. It also approved a measure that would force President Donald Trump to get congressional approval before relaxing any existing sanctions, Reuters reported.

Family seeks live-in nanny for their ‘haunted’ house 

If you are a nanny and are not easily spooked, a couple from Great Britain wants your application.

>> Read more trending news 

A family of four living in Scottish Borders is seeking a live-in nanny, WABC reported. The job description seems rather routine: preparing breakfast, getting the kids ready for school, dropping them off and picking them up. The job pays the equivalent of $64,000 annually, with 28 vacation days.

Oh, there’s one catch: the house the family has lived in for the past 10 years is supposedly haunted, and has scared off five nannies in the last year.

According to the job posting, the parents said: “We were told (the house) was ‘haunted’ when we bought it, but we kept our minds open.”

The nannies who left cited “supernatural incidents” as the reason, “including strange noises, broken glass and furniture moving.”

The family continued that while they personally had not seen any supernatural occurrences, they wanted to be as “up front as possible to find the right person.”

Get those résumés ready.

Couple trapped in London fire spent final moments calling parents

A couple stuck on the 23rd floor during the fire at London’s Grenfell Tower spent their final moments telephoning their parents in Italy to say goodbye, the Telegraph reported.

>> Read more trending news

“I am about to go to heaven, I will help you from there,” Gloria Trevisan told her mother moments before losing contact.

Both Trevisan and her boyfriend, Marco Gottardi, both architects from the Venuto area of northern Italy, are among those feared dead after the blaze at the 24-story high-rise apartment.

Trevisan’s mother recorded her telephone calls after receiving the first one, the Telegraph reported.

“These are terrible, agonizing calls,” said Maria Cristina Sandri, the lawyer for Trevisan’s family. Sandri told the Telegraph that she cried as she listened to the audio files of the telephone calls with Trevisan’s parents on Thursday morning.

According to Italian media sources, Trevisan, 26, called her parents Wednesday and told her parents there was a fire on the third floor, but seemed certain that firefighters would have the blaze under control. At 2 a.m. she was more frantic, and by 4:07 a.m. smoke was pouring into the apartment, the Telegraph reported. That’s when Trevisan made her final call.

“I am so sorry I can never hug you again,” she said, in a conversation related to La Repubblica newspaper by her father, Loris Trevisan. “I had my whole life ahead of me. It’s not fair. I don’t want to die. I wanted to help you, to thank you for all you did for me.”

Gottardi also called his family, at 2:45 a.m. and again 15 minutes later, the Independent reported. In his second call, he said the apartment was “flooded with smoke” and the situation had reached an emergency stage, according to the man’s father, Giannino Gottardi.

In his final call, Marco Gottardi was even more pessimistic, the Telegraph reported.

"There's nothing more we can do than wait for a miracle," he said.

German customs officials to destroy ‘unsafe’ fidget spinners

Customs officials in Germany said they have recently seized large quantities of “unsafe” fidget spinners and plan to destroy them, The Local.de reported.

>> Read more trending news

Officials at Frankfurt’s airport said they already confiscated 35 tons of the hand-held spinning tops in May. According to employees of the Central Customs Office in Frankfurt, some of the LED lights in the spinners could become so easily unhinged that small children could swallow them.

The toy is currently very popular with children. Manufacturers claim they help children to alleviate symptoms of ADHD, autism or hyperactivity, The Local.de reported.

Customs officials said the fidget spinners arrived in several import shipments from China.

Confirmed death toll in London fire rises to 30

As the confirmed death toll in the Grenfell Tower fire rose to 30 on Friday, British police said they may never be able to identify all the people who perished in the blaze.

>> Read more trending news 

A criminal investigation has been launched, CNN reported.

Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy told The Associated Press that 24 people were being treated in hospitals, including 12 in critical condition.

Dozens of people remain missing after the fire engulfed the 24-story building early Wednesday, CNN reported.

The Sun newspaper on Friday listed 65 people who it said were still missing or feared dead , Reuters reported.

Asked Thursday whether the death toll might exceed 100, Cundy said “I’d like to hope that it isn’t going to be triple figures.”

Police said Friday they had identified the place where the fire started, adding that it was unlikely to have been ignited deliberately, CNN reported.

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Cambridge visited the area Friday and met with residents and community representatives, CNN reported.

Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Theresa May, criticized for not meeting with those injured in the blaze, visited the hospital today, Reuters reported.

Man detained for wielding knife outside Parliament

Police in London arrested a man Friday outside Parliament on charges of possessing a knife, the BBC reported.

>> Read more trending news

The man, who sported a beard and was wearing a gray sweatshirt and black pants, was held against a fence with his arms behind his back by a police officer, the BBC reported.

Police said they did not believe the incident to be terror-related.

Evening Standard political editor Joe Murphy tweeted that there were shouts of "knife, knife, knife" and a man was brought down with a Taser.

There are no reported injuries, the BBC reported.

Australian PM downplays mocking Trump in off-the-record speech

Malcolm Turnbull downplayed a leaked video that showed the Australian prime minister mocking President Donald Trump during an off-the-record speech at a charity ball, Fox News reported.

>> Read more trending news

Turnbull, speaking at Parliament House, made fun of Trump and the Australian government’s poor showing in opinion polls. He later characterized the impersonation as “lighthearted and affectionate channeling,” Fox News reported.

In an animated performance, Turnbull told the audience that “Donald and I, we are winning and winning in the polls. We are winning so much. We are winning like we have never won before.”

“We are winning in the polls,” Trumbull continued. “We are, we are -- not the fake polls, not the fake polls -- they’re the ones we’re not winning in. We’re winning in the real polls, you know, the online polls. They are so easy to win.

“I have this Russian guy, believe me, it’s true, it’s true.”

Politics editor Laurie Oakes of 9News reportedly decided to reveal the contents of the video. “The idea of the Press Gallery Committee ... declaring it off the record is just ludicrous,” he told 9News.

In a statement, the U.S. Embassy said “We understand that last night’s event is equivalent to our White House Correspondents’ Dinner. We take this with the good humor that was intended.”

On Friday, Turnbull said the speech had to be seen in an Australian cultural context.

“We don’t take ourselves too seriously,” he told Fox News. “I don’t think it demonstrates that I’m up for ‘Saturday Night Live’ yet.”

Russia’s military claims it may have killed IS leader Baghdadi

Russia is claiming that an air strike in Syria may have killed Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in late May, Reuters reported Friday.

>> Read more trending news 

The Russian Defense Ministry said it was checking information that the air strike on May 28 near Raqqa, which targeted a meeting of IS leaders, may have killed Baghdadi, Reuters reported. 

“According to the information which is now being checked via various channels, Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was eliminated by the air strike, was also present at the meeting,” RIA news agency quoted the ministry as saying.

Baghdadi’s location has been unknown for some time, although he was believed to have been in Iraq in October 2016, the BBC reported. 

His only public appearance was in a video in June 2014, when he delivered a sermon in Mosul after IS took over the Iraqi city, the BBC reported.

In an email to The Associated Press, U.S. Army Col. Ryan Dillon said Friday that “we cannot confirm these reports at this time.” 

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >