Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

world

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

Tour company used by Otto Warmbier no longer taking Americans to North Korea

The company that organized the trip that took U.S. student Otto Warmbier to North Korea announced Monday that they would no longer take Americans to the Hermit Kingdom after the 22-year-old died, days after he was released back to his home country.

>> Read more trending news

“The devastating loss of Otto Warmbier's life has led us to reconsider our position on accepting American tourists,” the China-based Young Pioneer Tours company wrote on its Facebook page. “There had not been any previous detainment in North Korea that has ended with such tragic finality and we have been struggling to process the result.”

Warmbier died Monday in Ohio, where he had been hospitalized since his June 13 release.

He had been detained in North Korea since January 2016, when he was arrested in Pyongyang for attempting to steal a propaganda poster from a hotel. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison and hard labor, according to NPR News.

He was medically evacuated last week and returned to the U.S. in a coma. North Korean officials said he became comatose after he was given a sleeping pill following a botulism diagnosis. Doctors with the University of Cincinnati Health system said last week that they found no evidence that Warmbier had suffered from botulism, but that his condition appeared to stem from a cardiopulmonary arrest.

>> Related: Doctors say Otto Warmbier has 'extensive loss of brain tissue' on return from N. Korea

“The way his detention was handled was appalling, and a tragedy like this must never be repeated,” officials with Young Pioneer Tours said Monday. “The assessment of risk for Americans visiting North Korea has become too high.”

Other high-profile tour operators who take travelers to North Korea also said this week that they are “reviewing” their policies regarding traveling Americans in the wake of Warmbier’s death, The Associated Press reported. Tour operators told the wire service that Americans account for about a fifth of all non-Chinese tourism to North Korea.

Photos: Van plows into crowd outside London mosque in apparent terror attack

In an attack that British Muslims say was aimed directly at them, a man plowed a van into a crowd of Muslim worshippers outside a north London mosque early Monday, injuring 10 people. London police are investigating it as a terrorist incident.

U.S. shoots down Syrian warplane that attacked American-backed fighters

The U.S. military has announced that it shot down a Syrian Air Force fighter jet on Sunday after it dropped bombs near U.S. partner forces who were fighting ISIS.

>> Read more trending news

U.S. officials say that the shoot-down was done in the “collective self defense” of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), allies in the fight against ISIS.

A U.S. Navy F-18 Super Hornet shot down the Assad regime’s SU-22, which “wound[ed] a number of SDF fighters and [drove] the SDF from the town” of Ja’Din.

>> Read the news release here

“The coalition’s mission is to defeat ISIS in Iraq and Syria,” the Pentagon said in a statement. “The coalition does not seek to fight Syrian regime, Russian or pro-regime forces partnered with them, but will not hesitate to defend coalition or partner forces from any threat. ”

The coalition said the Russia was contacted before the Syrian plane was shot down.

London mosque terror attack: What we know now

One person is dead and 10 others were wounded after a van crashed into a crowd of pedestrians outside a London mosque, The Associated Press reports

>> PHOTOS: Van plows into crowd outside London mosque in apparent terror attack

>> Read more trending news

>> Click here or scroll down for more

Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 'official' birthday with Trooping the Color parade

Although Queen Elizabeth II’s birthday is April 21, Saturday was her “official” birthday, as it’s customary to celebrate her birthday publicly during the summer when the weather is nice. To commemorate the occasion, the royal family and regiments of the United Kingdom’s military paraded through the streets of London for the annual Trooping the Color.

>> PHOTOS: Charming Princess Charlotte, Prince George at Trooping the Color parade

>> Prince George, Princess Charlotte steal the show at Queen's Trooping the Color parade

>> Read more trending news

The Queen and Prince Phillip traveled in a carriage, as did Duchess Camilla, Prince Harry and Duchess Kate. As is the custom, Prince William, Prince Charles and Princess Anne rode on horseback.

>> Click here or scroll down for more

Prince George, Princess Charlotte steal the show at Queen's Trooping the Color parade

They may not have made an appearance until the very end, but Prince George and Princess Charlotte were everyone’s favorite part of Saturday’s Trooping the Color parade to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s “official” birthday.

>> Photos: Charming Princess Charlotte, Prince George at 'Trooping the Color' parade

While their elder family members paraded through London, the tiny royals were seen peeking through the curtains of Buckingham Palace to get a look at the festivities, People reported. Once the royal family returned to the palace to watch the Royal Air Force’s display, George and Charlotte finally made their debut.

>> Read more trending news

Charlotte waved to the crowd from her mother’s arms, while George excitedly watched the air force fly by. The royal toddlers had many questions for their parents during the display, curiously pointing at the sights around them. At one point, Prince George waved his hands around like an orchestra conductor.

>> Queen Elizabeth II celebrates ‘official’ birthday with Trooping the Color parade

The big event commemorated the Queen’s 91st birthday, which was in April. However, it’s customary to honor Her Majesty with a public ceremony in the summer.

>> Click here or scroll down to see the photos

Putin weighs option, calls retaliatory measures ‘premature’

Russian President Vladimir Putin said it was “premature” to discuss retaliation against a possible new round of sanctions the U.S. is considering against Moscow, Reuters reported Saturday.

>> Read more trending news

“We need to see how it is all going to be. That is why it is premature to speak publicly about our retaliatory actions,” Putin said according to the state news agency RIA.

Earlier this week the Senate voted overwhelmingly to impose new sanctions on Russia. It also approved a measure that would force President Donald Trump to get congressional approval before relaxing any existing sanctions, Reuters reported.

Family seeks live-in nanny for their ‘haunted’ house 

If you are a nanny and are not easily spooked, a couple from Great Britain wants your application.

>> Read more trending news 

A family of four living in Scottish Borders is seeking a live-in nanny, WABC reported. The job description seems rather routine: preparing breakfast, getting the kids ready for school, dropping them off and picking them up. The job pays the equivalent of $64,000 annually, with 28 vacation days.

Oh, there’s one catch: the house the family has lived in for the past 10 years is supposedly haunted, and has scared off five nannies in the last year.

According to the job posting, the parents said: “We were told (the house) was ‘haunted’ when we bought it, but we kept our minds open.”

The nannies who left cited “supernatural incidents” as the reason, “including strange noises, broken glass and furniture moving.”

The family continued that while they personally had not seen any supernatural occurrences, they wanted to be as “up front as possible to find the right person.”

Get those résumés ready.

Couple trapped in London fire spent final moments calling parents

A couple stuck on the 23rd floor during the fire at London’s Grenfell Tower spent their final moments telephoning their parents in Italy to say goodbye, the Telegraph reported.

>> Read more trending news

“I am about to go to heaven, I will help you from there,” Gloria Trevisan told her mother moments before losing contact.

Both Trevisan and her boyfriend, Marco Gottardi, both architects from the Venuto area of northern Italy, are among those feared dead after the blaze at the 24-story high-rise apartment.

Trevisan’s mother recorded her telephone calls after receiving the first one, the Telegraph reported.

“These are terrible, agonizing calls,” said Maria Cristina Sandri, the lawyer for Trevisan’s family. Sandri told the Telegraph that she cried as she listened to the audio files of the telephone calls with Trevisan’s parents on Thursday morning.

According to Italian media sources, Trevisan, 26, called her parents Wednesday and told her parents there was a fire on the third floor, but seemed certain that firefighters would have the blaze under control. At 2 a.m. she was more frantic, and by 4:07 a.m. smoke was pouring into the apartment, the Telegraph reported. That’s when Trevisan made her final call.

“I am so sorry I can never hug you again,” she said, in a conversation related to La Repubblica newspaper by her father, Loris Trevisan. “I had my whole life ahead of me. It’s not fair. I don’t want to die. I wanted to help you, to thank you for all you did for me.”

Gottardi also called his family, at 2:45 a.m. and again 15 minutes later, the Independent reported. In his second call, he said the apartment was “flooded with smoke” and the situation had reached an emergency stage, according to the man’s father, Giannino Gottardi.

In his final call, Marco Gottardi was even more pessimistic, the Telegraph reported.

"There's nothing more we can do than wait for a miracle," he said.

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >