Now Playing
On Air
No Program
Now Playing


131 items
Results 1 - 10 of 131 next >

Olympic champion Michael Phelps married girlfriend in June

Swimmer Michael Phelps is synonymous with Olympic gold. He earned five gold medals and a silver during the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro.

>> Read more trending stories 

Phelps apparently also grabbed more gold this summer — a wedding ring.

People magazine reported that Phelps and his girlfriend Nicole Johnson are now married. The couple announced their engagement in February 2015.

TMZ obtained a copy of the couple’s marriage record. It shows that they applied for the license on June 9 and were married June 13 in Paradise Valley, Arizona.

Phelps' agent, Peter Carlisle, was listed as the person who performed the ceremony, People reported.

Olympian's daughter shot to death in Kentucky

Trinity Gay, the 15-year old daughter of U.S. Olympic sprinter Tyson Gay, was fatally shot early Sunday in Lexington, Kentucky.

WLEX was the first to report the news.

"Tyson told sports director Alan Cutler he was very close with his daughter. "Of the shooting, Gay said, 'She didn’t make it. I’m so confused. She was just here last week for fall break. It’s so crazy. I have no idea what happened.'"

The incident happened around 4 a.m. Sunday near a local Cook Out restaurant, where shots were reportedly exchanged between two vehicles. Gay was struck in the shooting and later pronounced dead at the the University of Kentucky hospital.

>> Read more trending stories

Police have charged Dvonta Middlebrooks, 21; Chazerae M. Taylor, 38; and D'markeo C. Taylor, 19, with wanton endangerment in connection with the incident, WLEX reported. Middlebrooks also was charged with possession of a firearm by a felon.

Tyson Gay has twice competed in the Olympics and is a multiple-time world sprinting champion. Trinity was following in her father’s footsteps as a member of her high school track-and-field team.

[H/T NBC News]

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

International cities reluctant to host 2024 Olympics

Of the five cities receiving bids for the 2024 Summer Olympics, Hamburg and Rome have already withdrawn.

That leaves Los Angeles, Paris and Budapest.

>> Read more trending stories  

The bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics was awarded to Beijing after Stockholm and Krakow, Poland, withdrew their bids.

Why the reluctance to host the games?

Budgetary concerns remain the primary deterrent. Security costs alone can rack up to billions of dollars, not to mention the time and money that goes into planning the games and constructing massive infrastructure projects, including thousands of hotel rooms to accommodate athletes and guests.

The return, according to many major economists, doesn't nearly offset the cost.

"The games overrun with 100 percent consistency. No other type of mega project is this consistent regarding cost overrun," researchers from Oxford's Saïd Business School wrote in an academic paper in 2013. "Other project types are typically on budget from time to time, but not the Olympics."

Public funding for the Olympics seems to be a model of the past, with Los Angeles relying on privatized financing and using existing sports stadiums as venues in its proposal to the International Olympic Committee.

With this model, the California city would actually make a profit.

Russian hackers release information about 25 more Olympic athletes

The World Anti-Doping Agency confirmed late Wednesday night that Russian cyber hackers have leaked more confidential information about 25 more Olympic athletes. 

The WADA said that “Fancy Bear,” a team of Russian hackers, targeted 10 athletes from the United States, five from Germany, five from Great Britain, and one each from Denmark, Poland, Romania, Russia and the Czech Republic. WADA did not name the athletes targeted.

>> Read more trending stories

Earlier this week, the same group published information about four U.S. athletes, including gold medal gymnast Simone Biles and tennis player Venus Williams. 

Olivier Niggli, WADA’s Director General condemned the attacks, saying they “seriously undermine the work that is being carried out to rebuild a compliant anti-doping program in Russia.”

“WADA is very mindful that this criminal attack, which to date has recklessly exposed personal data of 29 athletes, will be very distressing for the athletes that have been targeted and cause apprehension for all athletes that were involved in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games," Niggli said. “To those athletes that have been impacted, we regret that criminals have attempted to smear your reputations in this way.”

>>Related story: Simone Biles reveals she has ADHD

The first leak earlier this week affected Biles, Williams and women’s basketball player Elena Delle Donne. The leak revealed their use of approved medications. The United States Anti-Doping Agency said all of the athletes named had followed proper procedure in getting permission to use the medications. 

In July, WADA recommended banning all Russian athletes from the Rio Games after an independent report said Russia ran a state-sponsored doping plan during the 2014 Sochi Games. 

In its latest statement, WADA asked Russia “to do everything in their power” to stop the hacking tactics. 

The Russian government has denied any involvement.

WATCH: Ryan Lochte protester speaks out about rushing the stage on 'Dancing With the Stars'

Two men were detailed by Los Angeles police following Ryan Lochte’s debut performance on Monday night’s episode of “Dancing With the Stars.”

As Lochte and partner Cheryl Burke received critiques from judge Carrie Ann Inaba, two men wearing anti-Lochte T-shirts rushed the stage, and East Coast viewers witnessed the bizarre turn of events as security tried to remove them from the premises. 

>> VIDEO: Ryan Lochte's 'Dancing With the Stars' debut interrupted by men storming stage

Following the incident, the men — identified by E! News as Sam Sododeh, 48, and Barzeen Soroudi, 40 — were detained by security and arrested on trespassing charges, police said. No one was hurt during the protest.

KABC in Los Angeles was able to capture footage of the chaos that the “Dancing With the Stars” cameras missed.

>> Click here to watch

Access Hollywood spoke with one of the men.

“Lochte is a liar," the man said. "He hurt Americans in Brazil. Two of his own teammates were detained because he ran away and he lied."

He added, "We want to publicize that this is a bad decision to have a liar be publicized as a star.”

>> Watch the interview here

>> Read more trending stories

Inaba took to Instagram after the show to thank the security team for keeping everyone safe.

“We had a bit of a scary moment during tonight’s live taping of @dancingabc, but thanks to our security team and incredible staff at #DWTS, no one got hurt. Only positive energy here tonight and always. Thank you. #dancingwiththestars #security #grateful #dwtspremiere #dwts23 #dwtspremiere #premiere,” she wrote.

>> See her post here

We had a bit of a scary moment during tonight's live taping of @dancingabc, but thanks to our security team and incredible staff at #DWTS, no one got hurt. Only positive energy here tonight and always. Thank you. #dancingwiththestars #security #grateful #dwtspremiere #dwts23 #dwtspremiere #premiere A photo posted by Carrie Ann Inaba (@carrieanninaba) on Sep 12, 2016 at 7:35pm PDT

Lochte suspended 10 months for Rio Olympics incident

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, who exaggerated claims of being robbed while competing in the Summer Olympics in Brazil last month, has received a 10-month suspension from competition, and will not be allowed to participate in the 2017 world championship meet.

The United States Olympic Committee and US Swimming announced the joint decision Thursday after terms of the punishment leaked out Wednesday evening on social media.

>> Read more trending stories

Three other swimmers involved in the incident were suspended for four months.

Locthe lost sponsors and received widespread criticsm for his role in the incident at a gas station in Rio. He has been charged by Rio authorities for filing a false robbery report.

>>Lochte apologizes for his behavior

Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report

British Paralympian claims Adidas, Nike discriminating against her

A Paralympian is charging discrimination against two major sportswear brands that she says won’t sponsor her.

Hannah Cockroft, a British wheelchair athlete, says Adidas and Nike won't sponsor her due to her inability to use their footwear in competition, The Guardian reports. Cockroft, 24, has cerebral palsy and does not wear shoes during her races.

>> Read more trending stories  

Cockroft argued that she still could wear other Adidas and Nike products in competition or on the podium. According to The Guardian, Cockroft does wear shoes while on the podium, but she says it's not enough because she doesn't wear them while competing.

Both Nike and Adidas said they sponsor other Paralympic athletes who do not compete in company footwear.

Why wasn't Gabby Douglas at the VMAs with the rest of the Final Five?

Gabby Douglas can’t catch a break.

The Olympic champ had to skip out on presenting at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards with her teammates after a sudden hospitalization.

>> Gabby Douglas responds to criticism: 'I apologize'

Douglas took to Instagram on Sunday night to explain to fans why she wouldn’t be joining her teammates — Simone Biles, Laurie Hernandez, Madison Kocian and Aly Raisman — at New York's Madison Square Garden. Alongside a photo of her wrapped tight in a blanket in what looks like a hotel room, Douglas wrote, “Out of the hospital & resting comfortably! #FinalFive so sad I can’t be with u all to present tonite @MTV thank u xoxo #VMAs #myview.”

>> See the post here

Out of the hospital & resting comfortably! #FinalFive so sad I can't be with u all to present tonite @MTV thank u xoxo #VMAs #myview A photo posted by Gabby Douglas (@gabbycvdouglas) on Aug 28, 2016 at 3:14pm PDT

>> Gabby Douglas apologizes over national anthem controversy

Douglas’ publicist confirmed her hospitalization to People.

>> Read more trending stories

“Gabby is back in the hospital tonight being treated for a seriously infected past mouth injury,” the publicist said. “She continues to have deep swelling and adverse reactions to medications.”

>> Gabby Douglas criticized for lackluster celebration after Simone Biles, Aly Raisman win medals

While competing in Rio, the gymnast was under fire not once, but twice by critics. Douglas first faced backlash after she was photographed not holding her hand over her heart during the U.S. National Anthem, and was criticized again when she seemed to not be excited enough for Biles and Raisman after their respective gold and silver wins in the women’s all-around.

Olympic discus thrower auctions his silver medal for a boy with cancer

An Olympic discus thrower has auctioned off his silver medal to raise money for a child's cancer treatment.

>> Watch the video from Newsy

Poland's Piotr Malachowski won silver at the Olympics this month. After his win, Malachowski auctioned off his medal on eBay to the highest bidder.

Malachowski says the mother of a 3-year-old boy named Olek wrote to him asking for help so her son, who has retinoblastoma, can get treatment.

Retinoblastoma is a form of malignant eye cancer that primarily affects children under 5 years old. It can affect one or both eyes and can be hereditary.

Reports say the total cost of Olek's surgery is $126,000, and Malachowski says the treatment can only be done in New York.

He told his followers on Facebook about Olek last week in hopes of raising funds for the boy's treatment. The discus thrower took silver in both the 2008 and 2016 Olympic games. >> Click here to see his Facebook postZdobycie medalu olimpijskiego to dla sportowca spełnienie życiowych marzeń. Oczywiście najcenniejszy jest ten złoty....Posted by Piotr Małachowski on Friday, August 19, 2016

According to ESPN, the medal auction had raised around $19,000 when it ended on Tuesday.

The discus thrower says the funds he gets from the the auction will go directly to Olek's treatment. The Olympian wrote: "In Rio, I fought for gold. Today, I appeal to all — let's fight together for something that is even more valuable. The health of this fantastic boy."

Malachowski isn't the only Olympian to auction off his medal for a cause. U.S. swimmer Anthony Ervin sold his to bolster aid relief efforts after the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. And famed Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko sold his medal from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics for more than $1 million as part of a fundraising event for his children's charity.

>> Read more trending stories

In another Facebook post, Malachowski reported the goal for the fundraiser had been met.

Olek also has a page on the Polish charity site SiePomaga. As of Saturday morning, more than 12,000 people donated to the cause.

131 items
Results 1 - 10 of 131 next >