Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

Posted: November 08, 2017

Dad, stepmom accused of starving 6-year-old to death, withholding food as punishment

Father, Stepmom Accused Of Starving Child To Death

Related

Dad, stepmom accused of starving 6-year-old to death, withholding food as punishment
Michael and Georgena Roberts have been charged with first-degree murder in the starvation death of their 6-year-old boy, who authorities said weighed 17 pounds. Jerseyville police say officers responded to a hospital Friday, Nov. 3, 2017, to investigate the death of a malnourished child. They're being held on $500,000 bond. (Jersey County State's Attorney via AP)

By Mariana Ramos, Rare.us

JERSEYVILLE, Ill. —

A 6-year-old Illinois boy died last week after suffering severe starvation and neglect from his father and stepmother, authorities said. He reportedly weighed only 17 pounds when he died.

According to police, the boy’s father, Michael Roberts, and the boy’s stepmother, Georgena Roberts, both 42 years old, deprived the boy and another child of food “as a form of punishment.”

>> On Rare.us: Parents accused of leaving their disabled daughter in an unacceptable condition for years

On Friday night, police responded to a call from a hospital in the southern Illinois community of Jerseyville regarding a dead child who had been brought to the hospital by his father, according to the Jersey County state’s attorney’s office.

According to the criminal complaint, Georgena and Michael Roberts “knowingly and intentionally caused (the boy) to become extremely malnourished, leaving the said 6-year-old child … to starve to death.” The complaint details allegations that the couple "withheld food and nourishment on a regular and consistent basis” beginning around December 2015.

>> Read more trending news 

The preliminary autopsy results indicate that the cause of death was “extreme malnourishment.” Toxicology and other tests are pending, The Associated Press reported.

The couple is also facing a felony count of child endangerment and a misdemeanor count of child endangerment for their treatment of their 6-year-old son. The judge set their bail at $500,000 each, so they remained in custody Tuesday.

>> On Rare.us: Parents accused of keeping son locked in a room with no plumbing

Police say the boy had three siblings and two step-siblings who lived with him in the same house in Jerseyville. All of the surviving children were taken into protective custody by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.

Attorneys for Michael and Georgena Roberts have not responded to requests for comment.

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.


There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.