Now Playing
K99.1FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM

Posted: February 14, 2018

Man files lawsuit over new L.L. Bean return policy

Robert F. Bukaty/AP
Unlimited Returns are Gone at LL Bean

Related

LL Bean says no more unlimited returns
FILE - In this March 16, 2016, file photo, shoppers exit the L.L. Bean retail store in Freeport, Maine. L.L. Bean is tightening its generous return policy by imposing a one-year limit on most returns to reduce abuse and fraud. Executives say returns of severely worn items have doubled over five years. Under the new policy announced Friday, Feb. 9, 2018, the company will accept returns for one year with a proof of purchase and will continue to replace products for manufacturing defects beyond that. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File)

By Natalie Dreier, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

Less than a week since the new return policy was announced, boot maker L.L. Bean is now being taken to court over the change.

Victor Bondi filed suit in Chicago Monday, claiming that the reason he bought L.L. Bean products was because of the company’s satisfaction guarantee, The Bangor Daily News reported.

Bondi shared two images from catalog covers that stated, “100% Satisfaction Guarantee. No Conditions. No End Date.”

>> Read more trending news 

The lawsuit said that Bondi, and other members of the class action, bought items with that warranty and that “When L.L. Bean announced those terms would be dishonored, (the) plaintiff and the other class members were deprived of their benefit of the bargain,” The Daily News reported.

Bondi is asking that the company be ordered to honor the lifetime warranty for any products purchased before the Feb. 9 change and to recover damages for all Illinois residents who bought items from L.L. Bean before the new policy, The Chicago Tribune reported.

Company spokeswoman Carolyn Beem told the Tribune that the suit misrepresents the new policy.

“L.L. Bean products bought prior to Feb. 9, 2018, will not be subject to the new one-year restriction. Proof of purchase will continue to be required. That is what we have consistently told customers since the new policy was announced last Friday,” Beem said in an emailed statement to the Tribune.

The change in policy came after company officials said it lost $250 million over five years on items that were “destroy quality” that had been returned.


There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

 
 

The #1 Free Home Show in the Miami Valley is almost here

The event formerly known as Home World has a new name and new location. Get totally inspired for spring as you find hundreds of ways to improve your home. Make your home the one you really want. Show open daily during mall hours.  Admission is free! 

  • Landscaping and Outdoors

Get ready for Spring and Summer and transform your outdoor space into something that feels like you’re on vacation

  • Demonstration Stage

Make sure to visit our demonstration stage during the entire show. There will be exciting demonstrations on how to re-purpose and design thanks to Monarch Market Affair

  • Meet Barry Williams from The Brady Bunch 
  • Join us as we welcome Me-TV superstar Barry Williams who played the iconic Greg Brady from The Brady Bunch TV Show. Meet him and get an autograph on February 10th stage side at center court in front of Macy’s. 
  • The line will start forming when the Mall Opens, and Barry’s First appearance will be at 11 a.m.
  • Come prepared with your camera or cell phone for the Meet and Greet. 
  • There will be a Q&A session with Barry at 1 p.m. 
  • Enter to win a Me-TV Prize Pack and be the first to meet Barry Williams

For more information on this year’s big event and how your business can participate visit HomeExpoDayton.com 

Play the Checkered Flag Challenge

This is THE Game for NASCAR Fans. Pick who you think will finish in the top 10 each race and compete for weekly prizes and a trip to the 2019 Daytona 500.