Now Playing
K99.1FM
Last Song Played
New Country
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
K99.1FM
Last Song Played
New Country

sports

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Mickey Mantle jersey from 1964 sells for record $1.32 million

A road jersey worn by New York Yankees Hall of Fame outfielder Mickey Mantle in 1964 sold for $1.32 million Saturday night, Sports Collectors Daily reported. The final price in the Heritage Auctions Summer Platinum Night sale, which included a 20 percent buyer’s premium, was a record price paid for any Mantle jersey.

>> Read more trending news 

Last year, Heritage Auctions sold an autographed Mantle road jersey from 1968, his final major-league baseball season, for $486,000, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

The uniform was photo-matched to Game 6 and Game 7 of the 1964 World Series in St. Louis, when Mantle hit the final two of his 18 World Series home runs, according to Heritage Auctions’ catalog listing. The games represented Mantle’s final appearance in the World Series; he appeared in the Fall Classic in 12 of his 18 major-league seasons.baseball

The jersey was classified as a 9 out of 10 by the MEARS grading service and was worn again by Mantle during the 1965 baseball season, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

Oregon spectator injured by Kevin Stadler's shattered golf club

Spectators watching golf tournaments are always alert to errant balls flying into the crowd. A piece of a golf club is a different matter.

>> Read more trending news 

A spectator needed stitches Friday in Oregon when the head of Kevin Stadler’s golf club came loose and flew into the gallery at a Web.com Tour event, ESPN reported.

Stadler, 38, was playing in the WinCo Foods Portland Open at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club when he hit an errant tee shot at the 15th hole and slammed his 7-iron to the ground, The New York Post reported. The club head broke when it hit Stadler’s foot and flew into the crowd, hitting a spectator in the head, the newspaper reported.

The spectator needed six stitches, Web.com Tour rules official Orlando Pope told ESPN.

"It was a very freakish accident,'' Pope told ESPN on Saturday. “Kevin is devastated. He had trouble trying to finish the round. He was quite worried and felt so bad.”

Tournament officials did not release the name of the spectator. Stadler, the son of 1982 Masters champion Craig Stadler, missed the cut in the tournament. He was not available for comment, ESPN reported.

Shaun Micheel, who was playing in the same group as Stadler on Friday, posted about the incident on his Facebook account, according to ESPN.

“I had my head down but the club head flew behind me and hit a spectator to my right," Micheel wrote. “It's been awhile since I've seen so much blood. We stayed with him for about 15 minutes before the EMTs arrived. ...

“[Stadler] was absolutely shattered and we did our best to keep his spirits up. This was not done on purpose and we were astounded at the way the club was directed, but it just shows you how dangerous it is to throw or break clubs. Each of us in the group learned something today.”

Boy dying from leukemia wants racing stickers for his casket

A terminally ill Iowa boy who wants to decorate his casket with racing stickers is asking the public for help.

According to the Des Moines Register, Caleb Hammond, 11, of Oskaloosa, was diagnosed with leukemia in February 2017. After months of unsuccessful chemotherapy treatments, a bone marrow transplant and medical scares, including a week in a medically induced coma with heart failure symptoms, he and his family recently decided to stop treating his illness and spend time together, the newspaper reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Now Caleb, a racing fan who loves to visit Southern Iowa Speedway, has a final request: for the public to send him racing stickers.

"We're trying to decorate his casket," his uncle, Chris Playle, told the Register.

Meanwhile, Team Kids With Cancer 46-7 made one of Caleb's dreams come true by getting him behind the wheel of a hobby stock race car. He drove in a six-lap race Saturday, the Register reported.

>> See the family's Facebook post about the event here

If you'd like to send Caleb a sticker, you can mail it to 314 N. J St., Oskaloosa, IA 52577. You can also donate to his family's GoFundMe campaign here.

Read more here.

Serena Williams learned sister's killer was paroled before worst loss of career

Serena Williams said she learned 10 minutes before the worst defeat of her professional tennis career that the man who killed her older sister had been paroled, Time reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Williams, who owns an Open-era 23 Grand Slam singles titles, lost 6-1, 6-0 in 52 minutes to Johanna Konta on July 31 at the Mubadala Silicon Valley Classic. 

Time published an interview Thursday that detailed Williams’ comeback after her pregnancy and the challenges of balancing motherhood and her professional career.

Williams told the magazine that she learned that Robert E. Maxfield, who was convicted in 2003 of killing 31-year-old Yetunde Price, was paroled three years short of his full sentence, ESPN reported.

"I couldn't shake it out of my mind," Williams told Time.

"I have so many things on my mind; I don't have time to be shocked about a loss that clearly wasn't at my best right now," Williams said after her loss to Konta. "When I was out there, was fighting. That's the only thing I can say."

Williams said she found out about Maxfield’s parole while checking her Instagram account, ESPN reported.

"It was hard because all I think about is her kids and what they meant to me,” Williams told Time. “And how much I love them."

"No matter what, my sister is not coming back for good behavior. It's unfair that she'll never have an opportunity to hug me."

Williams was asked if she could forgive Maxfield but told Time she was “not there yet.”

“I would like to practice what I preach, and teach (daughter) Olympia that as well.” Williams told the magazine. “I want to forgive. I have to get there. I'll be there."

Check out the latest official wine of the Cincinnati Reds

A newly released official wine of the Cincinnati Reds isn’t red at all. In fact, one could say it’s a pale imitation of a red.

It’s pink.

Major League Baseball (MLB) has added a French rosé to this season’s “Cincinnati Reds Club Series Wine Collection.” The wine isn’t exclusive to Reds fans — sadly, it was also bottled as a New York Yankees-branded wine.

To which Reds fans can scoff and say, “Remember the 1976 World Series?” 

But we digress. Nostalgically. 

>> Why this little Southern burger chain just couldn't make it

A release from MLB marketing partner Wines By Design says the French pink — a blend of Gamay, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc — is the first rosé ever released as part of the team-branded wine venture. It’s the eighth wine release for the Yankees, and the second for the Reds. Apparently, Reds fans need to put down their beer steins and start buying and drinking more wine.

“Rosés are perfect while at a baseball game, or while watching from home,” Diane Karle, CEO of Wine by Design, said in a release.

>> Springboro couple’s hilarious ‘empty nest’ is giving parents reason to hope

The firm’s marketing materials describe the wine this way: “Soft salmon in appearance, this wine offers clean, bright fresh strawberries and rose petals with tropical notes and stone fruit ... medium-bodied, (with) crisp acidity and a hint of sweetness with a juicy, dry finish.”  

The Cincinnati Reds Rosé “is an officially licensed MLB product offering a direct association with the team and Major League Baseball,”  a release assures us. And for any would-be bottle counterfeiters out there, be aware that “each bottle has a hologram affixed to ensure it is officially licensed,” a release said.

>> Dayton Beer Week starts with a parade & ends with AleFest, with a barrel of events in between

The Major League Baseball web site’s list of retailers that carry the Cincinnati Reds Rosé includes Jungle Jim’s in Fairfield and Meijer stores in Miiddletown, West Chester and Loveland, but no retail outlets in the immediate Dayton area. We’re checking to see whether other retailers carry the wine and will update this story if we find any.

>> Bacon Fest is just days away, and people are REALLY excited about it!

Some previously released Reds-branded wines are offered for online ordering on the MLB site, but there is no online ordering option available for the Cincinnati Reds Rosé. A Wines By Design spokeswoman told this news outlet this morning, Aug. 16, that because the rosé is a limited-release wine, it will be available only at retail stores. 

Those lucky enough to score a bottle can raise a glass of pink to the Reds. Or to next season.

Jury says former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle intruded on ex-wife's privacy

Jurors reached a verdict Monday in the civil court case involving former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle. 

According to the jury, Greg Biffle did invade the privacy of his ex-wife, Nicole Biffle.

Nicole Biffle and her mother sued him, claiming Greg Biffle had hidden cameras installed in bedrooms and bathrooms of their mansion, recorded them and showed that video to other people.

>> Read more trending news 

There were 12 days of testimony in the case, including expert witnesses discussing the cameras.

Greg Biffle took the stand in court and denied doing anything inappropriate. He said that his wife had known the cameras were there.

The jury said Greg Biffle did “intrude offensively upon the privacy” of his ex-wife with the positioning of hidden cameras in their home.

Jurors awarded $1 in damages Monday. The plaintiff was seeking $9 million.

Jurors decided the cameras did not cause emotional distress. 

Both sides claimed victory after the ruling.

“What the jury said sends a loud message that they don’t believe there was wrongdoing,” Greg Biffle told WSOC.

Amy Simpson, the attorney for Nicole Biffle, said it proves Greg Biffle was in the wrong.

A hearing to consider punitive damages is scheduled for next Monday.

Autographed baseball from first Hall of Fame class fetches record $623K

A baseball signed by 11 members of the original National Baseball Hall of Fame class in 1939 sold for a record $623,368.80 Sunday at SCP Auctions’ Summer Premier Auction, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The Reach Official American League baseball contained the signatures of Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Tris Speaker, George Sisler, Walter Johnson, Connie Mack, Nap Lajoie, Eddie Collins and Grover Cleveland Alexander, the auction house said in its catalog listing.

The winning bid set a record for an autographed baseball from a non-game used ball, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

The first vote for the Hall of Fame was held in 1936, with Cobb, Johnson, Ruth, Wagner and Christy Mathewson enshrined. Over the next two years, 21 more players, executives and baseball pioneers were elected.

The National Baseball Hall of Fame opened in June 1939, in Cooperstown, New York, and the 12 living Hall of Fame players were invited to the dedication ceremony. The only member to decline was Lou Gehrig, who was unable to attend, Sports Collectors Daily reported. Gehrig was in Rochester, Minnesota, where he would be diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a disease he would die from two years later.

The ball belonged to Marv Owen, a third baseman for the Chicago White Sox. Future Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg, who played with Owen in Detroit, brought two baseballs to the ceremony but told Owen he was too shy to ask the players for their autographs, SCP Auctions said.

When Owen got the players to sign the baseballs, Greenberg allowed Owen to keep one of them, SCP Auctions said.

Owen stored the ball in a fur-lined glove that was housed in a safety deposit box, SCP Auctions wrote in its listing. After Owen died in 1991, the family kept the ball. It was sold for $55,000 at a Christie’s auction in 1997, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

Steelers fan in full uniform sneaks onto practice field to challenge Antonio Brown

Pittsburgh Steelers training camp took a bizarre turn Saturday when a man made his way onto the practice field with the apparent intention of challenging superstar wide receiver Antonio Brown.

>> Watch the news report here

In a video posted to social media, team staff can be seen ushering the man off the field behind Brown, who can be heard saying, “My boy said he ain’t embarrassing himself at all; he wanna check me. Let him check me real quick.”

>> Watch the clip here

The man, wearing a black and yellow uniform that isn’t Steelers issue, wore No. 43 – the number worn by former Steelers defensive icon Troy Polamalu.

>> Read more trending news 

It wasn’t immediately clear who the man was or how he got onto the field.

2 Miami Dolphins, other NFL players kneel during national anthem in preseason openers

Miami Dolphins receivers Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson took a knee on the sideline during the national anthem before Thursday’s NFL preseason opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, The Miami Herald reported.

>> Read more trending news 

“Being a part of this protest hasn’t been easy,” Stills told WFOR. “I thought I was gonna be by myself out there and today I had an angel with me, with Albert (Wilson) being out there. I’m grateful that he sees what’s happening and he wants to stand up and do something about it as well.”

In addition, Miami defensive end Robert Quinn raised a clenched right fist during the anthem.

"As a black man in this world, I've got an obligation to raise awareness,'' Quinn said after the game. "If no one wants to live in unity, that's why we're in the situation we're in.”

Stills’ protest came after President Donald Trump accused players of disrespecting the American flag. He has kneeled during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, ESPN reported.

Trump responded with a tweet Monday morning, posting that the “NFL players are at it again.”

Numerous players from different teams, Trump tweeted, “Wanted to show their ‘outrage’ at something that most of them are unable to define.”

“They make a fortune doing what they love,” the President said, ending his tweet by telling players to “find another way to protest.”

“Stand proudly for your National Anthem or be Suspended Without Pay!” he tweeted.

Last month, the NFL suspended its new anthem policy, which mandated that players stay in the locker room if they wanted to protest, WFOR reported.

"There has been no change in the NFL's policy regarding the national anthem," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement issued Thursday night. "The anthem will continue to be played before every game, and all player and non-player personnel on the field at that time are expected to stand during the presentation of the flag and performance of the anthem. Personnel who do not wish to do so can choose to remain in the locker room.

"We remain committed to working with the players to identify solutions and to continue making progress on important social issues affecting our communities."

Wilson sat during the anthem once last season, refusing to stand while playing for the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 5 against the Houston Texans, the Herald reported.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who first brought the protests to light when he took a knee in August 2016 while playing for the San Francisco 49ers, tweeted his support for Stills and Wilson.

Elsewhere:

In Seattle, three members of the Seahawks ran into the tunnel before the national anthem, according to The Associated Press.

Defensive linemen Branden Jackson and Quinton Jefferson, and offensive lineman Duane Brown exited the field after team introductions and before the anthem. They returned to the sideline after the anthem ended.

In Jacksonville, four Jaguars were not on the field when the anthem was played before their home game against New Orleans, ESPN reported. Linebacker Telvin Smith, cornerback Jalen Ramsey, running back Leonard Fournette and running back T.J. Weldon left the field and returned after the anthem.

At Baltimore, both teams stood, but Ravens linebacker Tim Williams stood alone in front of the bench with his back toward the field, ESPN reported.

Wake Forest basketball assistant facing charge in death of New York City tourist

An assistant basketball coach at Wake Forest University was arrested in New York City on Thursday and charged in an assault that resulted in the death of a Florida man who was in town for a wedding, The New York Post reported.

>> Read more trending news  

Jamill Jones, 35, turned himself in to police Thursday, WABC reported. He was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday night and was charged with a third-degree assault charge, which is a misdemeanor in New York, according to CNN

He was ordered to return to court on Oct. 2.

Early Sunday morning, Sandor Szabo, 35, of Boca Raton, was knocking on a car window because he thought it was his Uber ride, the television station reported.

Szabo was banging on multiple cars, including Jones', before the incident, the Post reported. When a resident came outside to investigate, Szabo allegedly punched him in the face, the newspaper reported.

According to police, Jones then got out of the vehicle and punched Szabo in the face and then drove away. Szabo lost consciousness when his head hit the pavement and died in a hospital Tuesday afternoon, according to the Post.

Szabo was treated for fracture on his face and the back of his head, and also for bleeding on the brain, according to the complaint filed against Jones.

The medical examiner's office said it had not determined a cause of death, CNN reported.

Steve Shutt, a spokesman for the Wake Forest athletics department, issued a statement Thursday,  The Winston-Salem Journal reported.. 

“We have just been made aware of this matter and we are gathering information," Shutt said. "We will make a further statement after we learn more about the matter.”

Jones' attorney, Alain Massena, told CNN that the incident with Szabo was "a tragic accident and we will deal with it in the courts." 

Jones is about to begin his second season as an assistant to Danny Manning at Wake Forest, according to the team’s website. He has been an assistant coach at the University of Central Florida, Virginia Commonwealth University and Florida Gulf Coast University, ESPN reported.

Jones, a native of Philadelphia, graduated from Arkansas Tech in 2008, according to his biography on the Wake Forest website

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >