Now Playing
Last Song Played
New Country
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Last Song Played
New Country

Posted: September 14, 2013

Dozens treated following I-75 Greyhound bus crash


By Breaking News Staff

Staff Writer


After a Saturday morning crash where a Greyhound bus overturned off of Interstate 75, one victim from the crash remains in Miami Valley Hospital.

The bus, bound for Detroit with 51 passengers, went off Interstate 75 in the early morning hours Saturday and overturned in a cornfield.

A representative from Miami Valley Hospital confirmed one of the victims remains in the hospital as a patient. Only two people were admitted into the hospital after four patients were taken by CareFlight to from the crash.

Greyhound spokesperson Alexandra Pedrini said that 37 passengers and the driver were transported to six area hospitals.

Greyhound is assisting in the investigation with OSP and is also conducting their own, separate investigation behind the crash.

The bus left the Cincinnati terminal at 2:55 a.m. and was due to arrive in Detroit at 7:15 a.m. with no stops or layovers.

At approximately 3:58 a.m., the bus went off of the highway between a rest area and the Ohio 63 exit at Monroe, the Butler County Sheriff's Department said. The bus landed on its side in a cornfield several hundred yards from the right side of the freeway.

At least 75 emergency responders from Butler and Warren counties were at the scene.

CareFlight and AirCare helicopter units landed on the shut-down lanes of I-75 to transport injured passengers. Triage care was given to some at the scene, said Jeff Galloway of the Butler County Emergency Management team of the Sheriff's Office.

Spokesperson Nancy Thickel said that four patients delivered by CareFlight to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton. One male and one female were treated and released, one male was admitted in good condition with bruises and contusions and one female underwent surgery for a broken leg and was admitted.

Pedrini said that Greyhound dispatched a relief bus to pick up the 14 uninjured passengers and a crisis response team to the scene as soon as they got word of the crash.

The relief bus transported the uninjured passengers back to the Cincinnati terminal, where they could catch the next bus to Detroit if they wished, which was scheduled to leave around noon.

If passengers chose to change their plans, that was up to them, she said.

The coach had been inspected 14 days ago by federal inspectors, Pedrini said. They are required by Federal law to be inspected every 12,000 miles.

"All of our drivers also do a pre-trip inspection to make sure the vehicle is road-ready," she said.

The driver involved in Saturday's crash, Dwayne Garrett, had a clean driving record and has been with Greyhound for 15 years.

Lt. Edward Mejia of the State Highway Patrol said the cause of the crash is under investigation. It was deemed a mass casualty incident because of the large number of victims involved.

Passenger William Brown said he was asleep in the bus when it overturned. He was headed to Detroit to visit his family.

"I never thought that I would be part of an incident that occurred, especially today, just trying to get home to see my family," Brown said. "I'm just glad that a lot of people are still alive and okay."

The bus was turned upright around 9:30 a.m. and the highway was reopened around 11 a.m.

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.